The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Ok Guys, what (in your opinion) are the best and most comfortable shoes one can own (don't be concerned about price) to officiate our sport.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've sampled a good number. Conclusion: you get what you pay for.

Don't expect comfort from discount shoes given the miles you'll put in.

BTW: Every season I freshen up a pair of "cushin inserts" , Dr. Schols are $12.00.

Or should I say priceless!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I really like the New Balance 609s. Personal choice? Sure, but I can generally find wider shoes available from New Balance, and that is an issue for me. I also like the Dr. Scholl's inserts.

A piece of advice I picked up when buy running shoes this year: buy a size bigger than you normally wear. As you run for long periods of time (like a series of rec league games), your feet spread and you'll be much more comfortable in the bigger shoes.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Arrow

Shoes are a big issue. We had a thread on shoes a while back, you could prob'ly look for too; I'm using the all black lowtop Jordans. They're pretty sweet, the alligator finished leather isn't the best to shine, tho.

A real popular one is a Griffey (Ken Jr.) crosstrainer that comes (almost) all black. He makes a new one every year, I think. http://www.eastbay.com and at search enter Griffey = called the Griffey 8.

I see the (any) nike airmax bladder-shoe a lot and nike's uptempos.

I also like the adidas SS2g all black, even the stripes, if you can find it. They're hard for me to get a hold on, anyways.

I also have inserts, they help.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I just tried for the first time New Balance 609. They were the most comfortable shoes I've officiated in. I did two full games (stop time) in a row yesterday and did not even notice the new shoes (except how comfortable they were). I remember painful breaking-in of other brands.

My feet are too small for men's size so most officals vendors do not carry my size. I found them by a Google search at Roadrunner.com for $59 (free shipping). New Balance shoes run small, so order 1/2 size larger.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 08:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I just tried for the first time New Balance 609. They were the most comfortable shoes I've officiated in. I did two full games (stop time) in a row yesterday and did not even notice the new shoes (except how comfortable they were). I remember painful breaking-in of other brands.

My feet are too small for men's size so most officals vendors do not carry my size. I found them by a Google search at Roadrunner.com for $59 (free shipping). New Balance shoes run small, so order 1/2 size larger.
Unless, of course, you have wide feet and have been compensating for wide feet by buying larger (longer) shoes. I wore a 10.5 in Converse, now that I can get EEEE in New Balance (they go up to EEEEEE) I'm down to a 9.5 -- most comfortable shoes ever, but I do also wear a heel lift insert.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:39am
Huck Finn

One game - basketball shoe (Air Max Uptempo, low top Jordans, these are like the "hope diamond")

Multiple games - a running shoe

Best of both worlds - cross-training (Ken Griffey 5,6 and 8)