The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 06, 1999, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

If any of you have listened to the Dave Libbey tape on "Big Time Calls" from the Referee Magazine tape library.He talks near the end of the tape about a traveling violation with the center going to the hoop after receiving a pass, guy goes up without dribbling, Libbey calls "Traveling". Probably I left out something, but if you have listened to the tape,you know what I am talking about. I have tried to picture this in my mind, happens too fast on the court,and still I am a little bit confused.
If someone can elaborate, that would be great.
Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Nov 09, 1999, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Lightbulb

I have not listened to this tape, but I have made this call. When the post gets the pass, if you are at the trail(two man), you should be able to see the whole body. I can watch for that stutter step moving him closer to the hoop. When I see that, I can call the travel. From the lead it is generally hard to make this call because your primary focus is on the hack. You are looking at the waist up.
Old Fri Nov 12, 1999, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Does the trail have primary responsibility to call the travel? I disagree that the lead is looking for the hack. If the ball was below FT line extended lead has primary ball coverage, trail has off ball. When the ball is in the paint there may be four eyes on the ball and trail can help out. If the ball was above FT line and was thrown into the middle the trail has the whole call including the hack since the lead should be watching off ball.
Old Fri Nov 12, 1999, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green on 11-12-1999 03:26 PM
Does the trail have primary responsibility to call the travel? I disagree that the lead is looking for the hack. If the ball was below FT line extended lead has primary ball coverage, trail has off ball. When the ball is in the paint there may be four eyes on the ball and trail can help out. If the ball was above FT line and was thrown into the middle the trail has the whole call including the hack since the lead should be watching off ball.

I not sure that it is written in stone anywhere that trail or lead has primary responsiblity in calling a travel. I said the lead is looking for the hack since he is generally closer to the play and has a narrower focus. His attention should be up not down at the feet. If you are fortunate enough to be on a court that the lead can get deep, he can take the entire body. On some of the tight courts I've worked, this is not possible.