The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

This has not happened to me, but I have seen this happen at my brothers basketball game that I was watching.
A fan is going crazy on an official, the official stops play and goes and talks to the fan. Then the official proceeds to assess a technical foul and throw the fan out of the game.
I was under the impression that an official's duties were on the court and the school's admistration dealt with the fans. Did the official handle it correctly?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 03:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Putty
This has not happened to me, but I have seen this happen at my brothers basketball game that I was watching.
A fan is going crazy on an official, the official stops play and goes and talks to the fan. Then the official proceeds to assess a technical foul and throw the fan out of the game.
I was under the impression that an official's duties were on the court and the school's admistration dealt with the fans. Did the official handle it correctly?

NO!!! Unless a fan makes threats of physical violence against a participant (officials, players, or coaches) in the game or enters the playing court or playing field the officials should IGNORE the fan. Let the fan scream his head off, just IGNORE him.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Putty, I agree with Mark that the fan "should" be ignored... however it is within an officials jurisdiction to T a fan and this option is provided in the rule book, I don't have it with me so I can't quote it...however to further support Mark's stance, it does say that this is a last resort, and if it is the last resort maybe just find a different motel and forget resorts...in other words, by rule yes the official was within his jurisdiction, in the real word, he caused himself more problems either now or in the future
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
He probably should have let the site administrator handle the situation. If it was a lower level game or at a place where there was not a site administrator available then he could have asked the fan to move to the back of the stands or ask him to leave the gym but I do not think he should have assessed a T. I mean, the fans can affect the players but do not let them affect you and potentially decide the game.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In addition, the official should NEVER talk to the spectator. If the situation with the fan reaches the point of being intolerable, then game management should be notified. Management should speak with the fan and warn him that he will be ejected from the gym should the behavior continue. What the fan does next determines the next move. If he quiets down then the game continues. If he acts up again, he is removed from the gym before the game will continue. The LAST thing that I would do (even though the rules allow for it) is to charge the home team with a team T. That just inflames the crowd even more and defeats the purpose. The solution is removal of the roudy, out of control fan.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Do the rules really allow you to T up a fan for simply being obnoxious and profane in the crowd. My reading is that an official can only T up the crowd if game management can't control them and they directly impact the game (as in throwing objects onto the court or running onto the court). I don't think fans can earn a T simply by what they say, as no matter how rude or crude, it ultimately should have no bearing on the game itself, other than to tick off us officials.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 03:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Don't go there!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Do the rules really allow you to T up a fan for simply being obnoxious and profane in the crowd. My reading is that an official can only T up the crowd if game management can't control them and they directly impact the game (as in throwing objects onto the court or running onto the court). I don't think fans can earn a T simply by what they say, as no matter how rude or crude, it ultimately should have no bearing on the game itself, other than to tick off us officials.
You do not want to go there. Do not penalize a team for fan behavior. I would rather stop the game and get game management, then T someone and penalize a team (and it might not even be there fan) for something that is unrelated to the game.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

"Hey Ref, where did you get those "Bunny Ears"?

Mr. DeNucci is correct. IGNORE the fans' words. If fans' verbal behavior becomes unacceptable for a public school setting (profanity, for example) it is the responsibility of school personnel to deal with it.

Proper verbal behavior is a two-way street. How about last night's junior varsity Ref who responded to a player's moderately spoken remark - "But I got all ball!" - by whirling around to face the player and screaming "Shut Your Mouth!"

Can this Fan issue a warning to the Ref about lack of professionalism? I hope so....because I did.

And even though the Ref did not respond, I know he received the message loud and clear because he had.....Bunny Ears!

Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmcramer

Proper verbal behavior is a two-way street. How about last night's junior varsity Ref who responded to a player's moderately spoken remark - "But I got all ball!" - by whirling around to face the player and screaming "Shut Your Mouth!"

Can this Fan issue a warning to the Ref about lack of professionalism? I hope so....because I did.

If you are an official, how can you publically put down another official? Not very ethical!

If you are a fan, what exactly makes you different than the ref? You say "proper verbal behaviour is a two-way street", and then you decided to verbally deride the official.Yes, the referee showed a lack of professionalism with his comments. Your comments on a public stage weren't any better. Two wrongs don't make a right!
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by cmcramer
And even though the Ref did not respond, I know he received the message loud and clear because he had.....Bunny Ears!
First, the term is "rabbit ears," not "bunny ears."

Second, if a player yells directly at an official, that is not a case of having rabbit ears. If a player or coach yells at an official, he should exepect what's coming. And no, that shouldn't be an official yelling back at him. But he should get a warning or a T.

Third, you yelling at the referee is no better than him yelling at the kid.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Fans are getting out of control in many game environments. Why is this happening? Poor economy? Or, the stress of little Johnny succeeding better than his team mate little Jimmy?

We like to get rid of the cancers in the gym. If a fan uses unsportsmanlike comments, even though they aren't personal, the school's administrator should keep an eye and ear on this person. If he/she proceeds, the administrator gives them the warning. One more time, the cancer in the crowd is shown the exit by the administrator, whether the official or adminstrator decides.

This is serious stuff that should not be allowed in the environment because we are trying to enhance educational values for the participants in these interscholastic activities. If an administrator has the nads, it can be controlled, but some don't want to make that certain person mad. Well, well, well, if the kitchen is too hot, get out.