The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

This is my first year officiating. My understanding of the 3-second lane violation is that as long as the play has even one foot on the line that defines the lane for a 3-second count, it is considered a lane violation. I have been watching officials this year, and it is not clear to me as I've seen so many missed calls if this is the case. It almost appears that they are waiting for two feet to be in the lane.

Advise?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

By rule: If his one foot is in the lane and the other is out he is in violation. 9-7-2. If he lift the foot that is in the lane he's "cleared" the lane and the count gets reset.

Now my own personal take,he is up at the free throw lane and only standing there and doesn't have the ball I'm not going to call it. I'll only call it if he's there for the three and then gets the ball and turns to make a shot.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The three second call is interpreted in different ways in different associations, and at different levels. What we are told here in Portland, Oregon, is that if the person is there for 4 or 5 but not receiving the ball, and not setting screens, just standing, give a little elbow room, and see what happens. If that person receives the ball, TWEET!! or of they are actively gaining a screening advantage, TWEET!!. 1/4 inch of shoe leather on the line isn't really anything to keep track of. That's how it's supposed to be bcalled around here.

Others will tell you that it is called very tightly and rigidly, or that they are more loose than we are. If you want the skinny in your area, you should find the ref who works the highest level of play at your age group, and ask what the general agreement is for your locale. Ask this as a general piece of information, not prior to a game, and not immediately after so it doesn't look like you're "working the ref."
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

You'll find that most officials will take into account the "situation" rather than the Letter of the Law when it comes to the 3 second violation.
If calling 3 seconds is my best call of the night, then I need to get my head in the game!
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by garote
If he lift the foot that is in the lane he's "cleared" the lane and the count gets reset.
Most of the people here know my feelings about how 3-seconds is to be called. However, by rule, garote, you are not correct. Lifting the foot that's in the lane does not end the count. See the casebook play 9.7.2.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

"Most of the people here know my feelings about how 3-seconds is to be called" Chuck - I'm interested in your view.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody got the old thread for red? Darn search function. . . grumble, grumble. . .
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the correction Chuck..I never knew that one..
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Red, here's the link. Hope you enjoy. I found it myself. Interestingly, it was easier to find on Ask Jeeves than it was on Google. That's rare.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/4547
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

So, basically what I interpret from all of your responses is that the only time a lane violation is called is 1) if it is obvious that the player is camped out in the lane, and 2) call if the player becomes involved in the play (becomes a ball handler or shooter). Otherwise, let them play.

In the link, there was discussions on how fast officials count. The officials I've watched so far this season have a very slow count. Their 1-second count is more like 1.5 sec.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red
So, basically what I interpret from all of your responses is that the only time a lane violation is called is 1) if it is obvious that the player is camped out in the lane, and 2) call if the player becomes involved in the play (becomes a ball handler or shooter). Otherwise, let them play.

In the link, there was discussions on how fast officials count. The officials I've watched so far this season have a very slow count. Their 1-second count is more like 1.5 sec.
I'm from the South and we always count slow. Seriously, my 3-second count is slower than a lot of my fellow officials.