The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
I'm all for the stopping the clock part, but then using the right hand for the other two steps in sequence just doesn't seem right. I prefer stop clock with right hand, give signal with right hand and direction with left hand at the same time.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

There are times when there is the book mechanic, and there are times when you have to sell the call.

The book shows right hand because most of us are right handed... Dont get wrapped up in that. By the book, it should be Fist high, behind the head and point with same hand... The NCAA men (not seen many NCAA games this year, I wonder why)got the one head behind the hand and the other hand pointing down to an art.

I like the NBA offesive signal , and I beleive the NCAA women us it...

I generally go behind head and point with same hand. ( NO fist) I like the punch but too often it is hard to get away with it... The more bang bang the play is the less I go up and stronger the punch...or throw. There are times when you just have to be on the call and make it fast and right.. I have seen too many guys go thru the NF routine to get the mechanics right and by the time they did everybody wonders what is happening? who the foul is on? and starts whining.

Hard and fast then -- ball is back in play no one will argue if you are strong ...
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

At the consistent request of my HS assignor, I do all 3 with the same hand in all HS games. I do them very fast to help sell the call. I put the fist up and down as fast as possible and immediately go to hand behind the head (Kelvin, I try to avoid the head behind the hand. That kind of looks like a British salute). Then point with open hand.
I agree that while the fist is in the air, it appears you are indecisive. Thus, I do it as fast as possible.

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've been told by one of the evaluators in my board, that you need to sell the call, and signal the player control signal or point the direction as soon as possible. So in other words i was told to skip the fist.

Isn't this coincidental that we're talking about this and its the mechanics question of the week over at the IAABO page.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
What I do is stop the clock wiht my right hand, then come down with my right behind my head and point with my left. I see alot of NCAA officials doing the same. I think it looks good and nobody has really said anything about it.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Looks like it's me and rob against the world!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Actually......

In retrospect, I do raise my hand. I just do not do it for very long, then I go into the "selling" portion of my signal. I raise me right hand, then I put my left behind my head and punch with my right. Because it is so second nature, I really did not realize I even raised my hand until I had a game the other night. I might even throw in a "no basket" signal if that is at issue. I guess I do these things just to give myself a second to think about what I am going to call.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Try not to take it personally!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Try not to take it personally!
Who? Rob? Or me?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just a bit of a story that will make me thing about putting my arm up. My dad got home from a game today, and told me that he had a charge without putting his arm up, but his partner had a block, also without the stop the clock mechanic. My dad gave up his call, because his partner was in better posistion, but the coach didn't like that too much. So, if in doubt about the call, raise the arm, and hold the signal.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Hey Ref18,

That is not good when you have double whistles, open hand and closed fist, we call the a blarge! Did you come together and discuss the call or did you just yeild to him? I had the same thing happen last night to me and my partner just took the call. Communication is the key!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Just a bit of a story that will make me thing about putting my arm up. My dad got home from a game today, and told me that he had a charge without putting his arm up, but his partner had a block, also without the stop the clock mechanic. My dad gave up his call, because his partner was in better posistion, but the coach didn't like that too much. So, if in doubt about the call, raise the arm, and hold the signal.
This is exactly why I previously said that going right the PC signal looks cool. . . unless your partner also neglects to stop the clock.

Put up the fist. It doesn't take long, and the split second tells you whether you're going to have a problem or not.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 08:04am
Huck Finn

Unhappy

I guess I have been watching Jim Burr too much. Sometimes I just go with "offense" point and take a couple of steps in the opposite direction. This is wrong, I know, but I have been influenced. It seems that most of these calls are obvious meaning that everyone sees the contact/crash. They just want to know which way you are going as soon as possible. Shame on me but this is what I do instinctively. I also bypass stopping the clock on out of bounds plays. This is a habit that has gone unnoticed in my college games. However I got marked down for it in a high school game. Changing my mechanics is harder than changing what rules I'm using for me. I know it is wrong but this is what I find myself doing.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Last night I was at the LSU vs Utah game. I had great seats, courtside, opposite of the Utah bench. During the game I got a chance to watch Teddy Valentine, Kerry Sitton, and Pat Adams up close and personal. Not that this is new information to any of you, but Mr. Valentine has a style all of his own. He does not use "textbook" mechanics, but he has no problem getting his point across to the players and coaches. Mr. Sitton on the other hand could not have been more "by the book". He did a fine job as well, but you could tell that the players and coaches were "sold" more on Teddy's calls.

A side note to that story, if anyone was watching the game you may have seen when Pat Adams called a block in the second half and ended up flat on his back (he slipped on a wet spot). The entire gym was rolling in their seats. I looked over at Teddy and noticed that he was looking away from the camera and right at us. He had his hand over his mouth so that you could not see the smirk on his face. About 10 seconds later he winks towards us and says "I really can not laugh, not too long ago I fell twice in the same game." I wanted to ask him if he ever fell in front of Bobby Knight.

[Edited by Ridgeben on Dec 17th, 2003 at 09:35 AM]
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Alright, let me through this into the mix...
What about a PC call with a no basket signal? At what point in the sequence of arm waves do you signal that?