Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Alright, let me through this into the mix...
What about a PC call with a no basket signal? At what point in the sequence of arm waves do you signal that?
Wow, 3 years and a month later! Is that a record of some sort?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

lol -- do we have a resolution or is it time for a philibuster?

I move to squash...
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

That is an official who is doing some serious archiving!
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
What about a PC call with a no basket signal? At what point in the sequence of arm waves do you signal that?
If a shot is involved, I raise my fist, then wave off the basket ("No basket!"), then point the opposite way ("Offense!"). Then I give the PC signal at the table.

By the book, I think you should give the "no basket" signal after you do the normal PC sequence. So you'd go:

1) Fist
2) Hand behind head (same hand as #1)
3) Point opposite direction (same hand as #2)
4) No basket signal.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I guess I have been watching Jim Burr too much. Sometimes I just go with "offense" point and take a couple of steps in the opposite direction. This is wrong, I know, but I have been influenced. It seems that most of these calls are obvious meaning that everyone sees the contact/crash. They just want to know which way you are going as soon as possible. Shame on me but this is what I do instinctively. I also bypass stopping the clock on out of bounds plays. This is a habit that has gone unnoticed in my college games. However I got marked down for it in a high school game. Changing my mechanics is harder than changing what rules I'm using for me. I know it is wrong but this is what I find myself doing.
I know I'm replying to a post over three years old, but I find myself doing the same thing - just a sharp point in the other direction. I don't think I bring my hand behind my head anymore until I'm reporting the foul.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If a shot is involved, I raise my fist, then wave off the basket ("No basket!"), then point the opposite way ("Offense!"). Then I give the PC signal at the table.

By the book, I think you should give the "no basket" signal after you do the normal PC sequence. So you'd go:

1) Fist
2) Hand behind head (same hand as #1)
3) Point opposite direction (same hand as #2)
4) No basket signal.
I think if you work both fed and ncaa mens rules you would be wise to take the "wave the shot off" out of your regular sequence.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:26pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I think if you work both fed and ncaa mens rules you would be wise to take the "wave the shot off" out of your regular sequence.
Good point. And it almost got me in trouble just last week at a D3 game. I had a charge and instinctively waved it off. Then, at the table, I was thinking, "Jeez, was it already out of his hand?" I asked my partners about it at halftime (both very accomplished D1 officials). They said, if it's that close, wave it off. That's what everybody expects anyway. If it's obvious, go ahead and count it, but on one that was that close, it was ok to wave it off.

But your point is very well taken.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Good point. And it almost got me in trouble just last week at a D3 game. I had a charge and instinctively waved it off. Then, at the table, I was thinking, "Jeez, was it already out of his hand?" I asked my partners about it at halftime (both very accomplished D1 officials). They said, if it's that close, wave it off. That's what everybody expects anyway. If it's obvious, go ahead and count it, but on one that was that close, it was ok to wave it off.

But your point is very well taken.
Then you would have had a charge and no player control. Signals would be different.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Then you would have had a charge and no player control. Signals would be different.
Yep, as long as you remembered it when you blew the whistle.