The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otnemet
Exclamation

I talked to a referee last night while doing a game and he said that the rules are different between NFHS and NCAA. Is this correct? Also I was wondering what to look for when calling it. I know adv./ disadv. has a lot to do with it but I was wondering how some of you call it. I did read the other messages on the forum about hand checking but was wondering if anyone else had advice.
Now about the palming, I read one reply that said watch the thumb and if it goes past verticle then call it. I was wondering if there were any other ways such as the one mentioned about the thumb that would help when calling the carry.
Thanks
MA
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otnemet
Again

I understood the difference of hand checking between NFHS and NCAA as he explained it but was just wondering about how to call it.
MA
Old Thu Nov 16, 2000, 01:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Again

You must understand the the NF and NCAA are three different organizations basically. The NCAA is split with the Men's game and the Women's game. All three have different standards and expectations, so it really depends on what level you are talking about. I do know this, the NCAA Women's rules put a completely different spin on what they want called as it relates to handchecking then the Men's game.

Quote:
Originally posted by otnemet
I understood the difference of hand checking between NFHS and NCAA as he explained it but was just wondering about how to call it.
MA
Old Thu Nov 16, 2000, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Women want the hand check called even if it is only a touch on the dribbler. A touch, only one, is acceptable before the dribble begins - allowing the defender to measure only.

I don't think the men are that fussy about it. The feel I get is that if a hand check alters the movement - changes direction or prevents desired movement of the dribbler or cutter, then it needs to be called. In addition, riding a dribbler on the way to the hole, whether his course is altered or not, should be called, but if less than a dribble from the basket, hold the whistle a little bit to let them get the try off.

On palming, I still try to judge it by whether the ball comes to rest - in other words stops for a period of time that is longer than you would expect at the top of a dribble. This usually happens on a change of direction (crossover) or hesitation move by the dribbler.