The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

whats the proper signal and at anytime can there be a technical on this call?
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
whats the proper signal and at anytime can there be a technical on this call?
Official basketball signal #27- from the back of the NFHS rule book. If it's on a 3-point shot, you follow it with signal #31.

Yes, you can call a T on a BI call. If a player is hanging on the rim with no one underneath him when the ball touches the ring(or his hand),then you penalize the player for the BI and also award the T for hanging on the rim.

Btw, welcome to the forum
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

ok,this must be a to open ended question. what i really wanted to know on a offensive BI should I give the wave off signal and verbally call BI, and on defensive BI give the basket count gesture and verbally call BI. as far as a technical goes, if it looks intentional than its a technical. does this sound like im answering my own question correctly. thanks
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 04:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) what i really wanted to know on a offensive BI should I give the wave off signal and verbally call BI, and on defensive BI give the basket count gesture and verbally call BI.
2) as far as a technical goes, if it looks intentional than its a technical.
1)Yes
2)Forget about "intentional". A player can't grasp the ring at any time,unless it's done to prevent an injury. That's the criteria that you use to call it a T or not.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
2) as far as a technical goes, if it looks intentional than its a technical.
2)Forget about "intentional". A player can't grasp the ring at any time,unless it's done to prevent an injury. That's the criteria that you use to call it a T or not.
It doesn't sound to me like Roady's asking about hanging on the rim. It sounds like he's saying that in the official's judgment, the defender "intentionally" took the ball off the rim to keep the ball from going in.

If that's the scenario under discussion, this is NOT a technical foul, even if you think he's doing it to showboat or whatever. Score the points and move on.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

From what I understand a technical foul is to be assessed if a player intentionally strikes the backboard or signal while a try is in the air.

So, if a player commits BI while doing this, would that not be a reason to call BI and a Technical?

If these two calls were made, we would then count the basket (2 or 3 points) and then award the offended team 2 FT's and the ball at the division line, correct?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 06:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation That is not BI.

Quote:
Originally posted by sleebo
From what I understand a technical foul is to be assessed if a player intentionally strikes the backboard or signal while a try is in the air.

So, if a player commits BI while doing this, would that not be a reason to call BI and a Technical?

If these two calls were made, we would then count the basket (2 or 3 points) and then award the offended team 2 FT's and the ball at the division line, correct?
That would be great, but you cannot call a BI for slapping the backboard. Slapping the backboard has nothing to do with BI or GT for that matter.

The only way a T could be called, along with a BI, if a player grabs the rim and the ball is hit before the rim goes back to its original position. You could call a T for the hanging on the rim and the BI for the ball hitting the ball before returning to the rim's original position.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Red face That depends JR...

I don't know where sleebo is from (so I don't know what rules he uses), but I know that under FIBA rules, slapping the backboard in such a way that, to the referee's opinion, the ball doesn't go in due to the slapping there has been a BI... But ok, from what I know of American rules (NHFS/NCAA) this indeed isn't a BI...

ADR
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Most of us are in the US of A.

ADR,

I realize that some here are from other countries, outside of the United States. But the reality is, that most of us are NF or HS refs in the USA. So unless specifically stated, we are never talking about FIBA Rules. You would even have to be specific in dealing with NCAA Rules. And in this case the rules are the exact same between the two (NF and NCAA that is). Honestly, I really do not care what the FIBA Rule is. I do not see myself ever wanting to do International Ball.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I was just giving a situation under which he would have been right.

ADR
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I like FIBA's solution better than the NFHS/NCAA one. I think slapping would be called more often and more consistently if it were simply a BI and you move on.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: Most of us are in the US of A.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
ADR,

I realize that some here are from other countries, outside of the United States. But the reality is, that most of us are NF or HS refs in the USA. So unless specifically stated, we are never talking about FIBA Rules. You would even have to be specific in dealing with NCAA Rules. And in this case the rules are the exact same between the two (NF and NCAA that is). Honestly, I really do not care what the FIBA Rule is. I do not see myself ever wanting to do International Ball.

Peace
Awwww, does somebody need a hug?