The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Politics, Religion and Basketball - It doesn't get better than this !

I believe the key to what has made our country such a great place to live is that it is based on pluarlism rather than strict majority rule. Since the adoption of the Bill of Rights, our legal system has been based on protecting the individual from the power of the government which represents the majority of the people. Unlike Communism, which endorsed the "Dictatorship of the Proletariat", our system has upheld the notion that the group could not simply do what it wanted at the expense of individuals. Sure, we've blown it in the past, as epitomized by the Dred Scott decision, but I believe the historic trend has been overwhelmingly good for the "people" as well as individuals. It's just that sometimes I wish there was a little more common sense and a lot less litigation.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 01:18pm
Esteemed Participant

I have a close friend who is the coach of a HS in Alaska. His team was in the State tournament, and scheduled to play a semi-final game on Friday night...his star player was 7th Day Adventist, and could not play from sundown Friday till Sundown Saturday,,,he asked for a time change, didn't get it, and instead of suing - they devised a game plan that did not include the star, won the semi and then won the championship with the star back the next evening...seems to me that this family is suing because their kid's team lost...would they have still sued if the team had won and he got to play in the championship game???
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
..seems to me that this family is suing because their kid's team lost...would they have still sued if the team had won and he got to play in the championship game???
Very astute observation!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
...would they have still sued if the team had won and he got to play in the championship game???
I think that's a rhetorical question (g)

of course they would not have sued.

As usual, its not about the kids, it not about the concept or religion or morality, its simply about winning/losing.

sad to say but we're in for a rough time down the road if things like this continue.

Thanks
David