The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've been asked to present 5 or 6 oddball plays or situations for discussion at our next board meeting. We've had some interesting things come up in the last couple of months. I'm just not sure if they want very technical questions about the rules, or just unusual situations. So which ones do you think would be most suitable and also most interesting for a open-meeting style discussion? Any nominations?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Player A1 (or any other player) is fouled while A1 is shooting at the other team's basket.

A thousand and one intricasies of in-bounding the ball.
1. Inbounder must maintain the throw-in spot, but has not travelled if he does not.
2. Defensive player may take the ball from the inbounder if the ball is inside the OOB plane.
3. Defensive player may not however, reach across the OOB plane.
4. A player on either team may gain position of the ball in either the front court or back court.
5. Etc.

This one just for fun:
Explain how a player may dribble from the backcourt into the front court (while hopping on one foot) all the way to the baseline and back into the backcourt. I wish I could remember who to give credit to for that one, but I seem to recall rainmaker wanted to be there to see it if it did happen.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a couple

Some of the hardest things to understand for me especially as a young ref but even now:

Jump ball situations can be very tricky

Also, alternating possession things such as when it starts, what about a foul or a violation etc., when doing an AP throw-in.

FT's - what if a team is not ready who gets what?
T or violation, or can it be resuming play etc.,

We had a very unusual play the other night with a new coach. We're shooting FT's and he wants to conference his team but his opponents are shooting the FT's.
What should you do, what can you do etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 11:16pm
Administrator

Chuck:

It has always been my belief that using unusual and highly improbable plays are the best for teaching because it requires an official to know the definitions, and how to apply the definitions. I put a premium on knowing definitions because knowledge of definitions is the foundation of applying the rules to any situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Here's a couple

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

We had a very unusual play the other night with a new coach. We're shooting FT's and he wants to conference his team but his opponents are shooting the FT's.
As long as he has two players on the blocks, the other three players are irrelevant.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

The two that came up in our chapter meeting last night were ...

1. Jump ball, one or both jumpers tap ball, ball bounces inside center circle, one jumper grabs ball. All the old refs wanted to call a violation - wonder if this was a rule change somewhere along the line.

2. FT, B1 along the lane violates, A1 (shooter) tosses airball. Now this can be called two ways, depending on the interpretation of the ref. Disconcertion by B1 will give A1 another toss. No Disconcertion will be a double violation - go with AP arrow (on last toss only).
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Any nominations?
Give 'em this one that we talked about before:

A1,who has player and team control in the front court,passes to A2. Defender B1 reaches in and deflects the ball into the back court-where it rolls almost to the end line. A1 chases down the loose ball,is the first to touch it and bats it along the end line. A2 now picks the ball up and starts dribbling.
Question:1) Is this a backcourt violation? 2)When does the 10 second count begin?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I've always found the first 20 seconds of the game the most challenging -

- jump ball admin & violations
- who's going what way again? on a quick OOB
- quick usually unexpectd fouls
- etc etc

Probably because we only do this once per game, all the rest we've seen thousands of times. Also lets you talk about concentration/court awareness. Another topic along those lines might be dealing with less than the perfect table: shot clock, game clock, book keeper.

Hope this helps
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 10:03am
In Memoriam

You tell a coach that you passed on a foul/violation to his team's advantage.
He is appeased.
The other coach hears you.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm with Dan about the beginning of the game.

Also, I think the administrative stuff is the most difficult to keep track of because the rules are so convoluted, and because it doesn't happen very often. There is also the most variation in this category from locale to locale. Some associations want their folks to ignore everything, others want every little detail called, and everything in between. But it's most important to get these details correct, because they are going to be noticed and remembered by everyone involved.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Here's a couple

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

As long as he has two players on the blocks, the other three players are irrelevant.
No, he conferenced with his entire team. So we had a shot, a violation and then he was not ready still, so we had to give a T for delay.

First time, but the coach is young (should know better he's been as asst. coach in college for four years)

Thanks
David

Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 11:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Here's an oldie but a goodie. You are officiating a game on the deck of a cruise ship. A1 has just received an inbound pass in his backcourt and you have started your 10 second count. During the count, the ship crosses the international date line and it is now yesterday!

Does A1 get an additional 24 hours to get the ball into frontcourt?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Here's a couple

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

No, he conferenced with his entire team. So we had a shot, a violation and then he was not ready still, so we had to give a T for delay.

First time, but the coach is young (should know better he's been as asst. coach in college for four years)

Thanks
David

Unless this was after a TO, you were incorrect.

You should have requested that he place two players in the lower spaces. If he refused, it's an immediate T for delay of game.

The violation for not filling the lower spots is part of the resumption-of-play procedure.

Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

On the floor 20 minutes before game, standing at half court. Look over to the visiting team and the assistant coach is doing layups with the team. Is this legal? What if he dunks?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 04:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I heard a story about a veteran varsity official who did the following:

A timeout after a B goal. A comes back and is properly told that they can run the endline. A player passes it inbounds where it is deflected out of bounds by a B player. Official allows A to run the baseline again. Whoops.

Rich