The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Had a play last night that is bothering me. Team A is up by 30 with probably 8-9 minutes to go in the game. Team B, #33 is called for a foul by my partner, I'm at lead. He reports the foul, turns to me, we communicate that it's a two shot foul. I step in, announce the two, bounce the ball to the shooter. She bounces it twice and then shoots it and makes it. Now the table buzzes the horn and tells us that was five on #33. Partner tells the player and the coach and has a somewhat long discussion (1-2 minutes) with the coach, coach is saying that the table hasn't been putting the right number of fouls on the board intentionally, but that's another story. After his discussion he comes and asks us what we are going to do about the free throw. We end up wiping it and making her shoot two more, which she cans. Probably if the situation was reversed we let the free throw stands, logic being that the team was down by 30 some and I'm not taking points away from them. Comments....
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Why wipe off the made FT? The player shot a merited FT, so it's not a correctable error. Get the sub for the DQ'd player and then shoot the second FT.

And tell the table to tell you sooner on a DQ.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Had a play last night that is bothering me. Team A is up by 30 with probably 8-9 minutes to go in the game. Team B, #33 is called for a foul by my partner, I'm at lead. He reports the foul, turns to me, we communicate that it's a two shot foul. I step in, announce the two, bounce the ball to the shooter. She bounces it twice and then shoots it and makes it. Now the table buzzes the horn and tells us that was five on #33. Partner tells the player and the coach and has a somewhat long discussion (1-2 minutes) with the coach, coach is saying that the table hasn't been putting the right number of fouls on the board intentionally, but that's another story. After his discussion he comes and asks us what we are going to do about the free throw. We end up wiping it and making her shoot two more, which she cans. Probably if the situation was reversed we let the free throw stands, logic being that the team was down by 30 some and I'm not taking points away from them. Comments....
Did A violate any part of 2-10?

I don't see how you could have cancelled the score.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The situation as you described it doesn't sound like a correctable error (as far as wiping the free throw). You ended up punishing Team A for nothing Team A did. Since there was no live ball between the time #33 committed their 5th foul and the time the table notified you it was their 5th foul, seems like you just DQ #33 once you are notified and move on. No harm done. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

The only free throws to be canceled that I know of are the ones covered by correctable errors and this does not fall into that category. Just repalce the DQ player and move on. If the DQ player was somehow shooting the free throws then the first one would still count but the second would have to be shot by their sub.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, the player is not disqualified until the table notifies the official. Therefore, the player was still legal, and the free throw counts.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

You could play for 10 minutes after the 5th foul, have the player that committed the 5th foul score 20 points, and none of them come off the board when you are later notified that the book had forgotten to inform you that it was the 5th. Having a disqualified player in the game does not change what happened before.