The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 11:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

After virtually no summer work, I'm back in it officially as of last night. A couple of things to reflect on.

When tossing the ball, and the jumper taps it and catches it, put the whistle back in your mouth and call it.
When I see a pc foul, pull the trigger. Missed one in the first game, did better the second game.

Now, a question. Am I, as an official, under any obligation to wait until the scorer informs me of a substitute before I wave him in? Or, if we see him approach the bench, can we just wave him in to speed up the game?
Related, in the proceeding discussion with the scorers, do I take it when the scorer points at me and tells me I need to wait for them to inform me?

A little ticked at my scorer from last night.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wave 'em in as soon as you see that they've reported, with or without the horn.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

If they are at the table and look ready I will call them in. Sometimes at lower level table is not to sharp on things. As I read the officials manuel, p.20, #116 it only says if a sub has reported and is ready to beckon them in, nothing about needing horn or scorer permission.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

The table crew only needs to buzz to get your attention and make you aware that a sub has reported. If you see subs there, during next dead ball, raise you arm (to tell your partner to wait), and beckon them in. In this instance, the horn is unnecessary, but the buzzer happy crew will most likely buzz anyway. Scorers/timers should not be pointing at you for any reason. Politely explain what I have suggested above (that the horn is to get your attention when NECESSARY), and that you and your partner will otherwise call in subs as you see them. If this person is uncooperative/hostile, you may have him removed and replaced.

As for the jump ball violation (or poor toss), the REFEREE (tosser) should NOT have the whistle or put the whistle in his mouth. The UMPIRE (on the sideline) should immediately blow in this case. He has a much better view of the jump ball activity, and it is his responsibility. This is a standard mechanic, but a reminder at pre-game is a good idea.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, we kicked the jump ball call. We discussed it at half time, and my partner admitted he missed it and should have called it. However, I should have picked him up on it knowing what happened.