The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11035-backcourt-violation.html)

Cornellref Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:27am

A1 in the backcourt passes to A2 who has a) both feet in the frontcourt b) both feet out of bounds in the frontcourt (completing a throwin) - and jumps in midair THEN catches the pass and lands in the backcourt. Violation(s)? If in (b) there is a violation following a jump ball throw in, does the arrow change or stay the same? Thanks for any help - Cornellref

Ref in PA Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Cornellref
A1 in the backcourt passes to A2 who has a) both feet in the frontcourt b) both feet out of bounds in the frontcourt (completing a throwin) - and jumps in midair THEN catches the pass and lands in the backcourt. Violation(s)? If in (b) there is a violation following a jump ball throw in, does the arrow change or stay the same? Thanks for any help - Cornellref
Situations A and B are both violations. The Player status of a player in the air is determined by where they last touched the floor. In B, it is an oob violation. In A, A2 has FC status in the air, catches the ball giving the ball front court status, then lands in BC, causing a BC violation.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:22am

Quote:

If in (b) there is a violation following a jump ball throw in, does the arrow change or stay the same? Thanks for any help - Cornellref
RefinPA answered the first part of the question.

For the second part, the arrow changes. The arrow changes when the throw-in ends or when the throwing team violates.

In situation (b), the throw-in ended when A1 received (touched or was touched by) the throw-in

theboys Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:22am

We had situation A occur in one of our games this weekend. Refs didn't call the violation. I thought it was, but wasn't sure (so didn't howl!). The next day, I asked the crew of another game. They told me it was a violation. Just wait 'til next time!

mick Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:26am

Quote:

A1 in the backcourt passes to A2 who has a) both feet in the frontcourt b) both feet out of bounds in the frontcourt (completing a throwin) - and jumps in midair THEN catches the pass and lands in the backcourt. Violation(s)? <I> If in (b) there is a violation following a jump ball throw in, does the arrow change or stay the same? </I> Thanks for any help - Cornellref
Cornellref,
Tough to understand your <U>b</U> sitches.

Location of an airborne player is where they last touched the floor.
In a), A2 caught the ball in the front court and landed in back court. Violation --> Over-and-back
In b), A2 caught the ball out of bounds (not FC or BC, but OOB) and landed in the back court. Violation --> Out of bounds.

mick