The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I missed this question recently on an internal association quiz. What do you guys think is the answer? I'll tell you the official answer I got later.

A-1 attempts a try at A's basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard or the rim or any other player. A-1 runs and catches the ball after it strikes the floor. Official rules that the play is legal. Is the official correct?

-obviously the key to this question is does a shot that misses everything AND hit the floor a legitimate attempt or the beginning of a dribble. I don't know if it matters or not but this test was NCAA rules.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS
I would agree that the play is legal. When A1 tried for goal, he no longer had player control or team control. Since there is no control during a try, the ball is up for grabs (anyone can legally touch/catch it). This is also true had he caught the air ball before it hit the floor (as long as it was a try and not a pass).
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
I missed this question recently on an internal association quiz. What do you guys think is the answer? I'll tell you the official answer I got later.

A-1 attempts a try at A's basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard or the rim or any other player. A-1 runs and catches the ball after it strikes the floor. Official rules that the play is legal. Is the official correct?

-obviously the key to this question is does a shot that misses everything AND hit the floor a legitimate attempt or the beginning of a dribble. I don't know if it matters or not but this test was NCAA rules.
under ncaa play is legal.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
-obviously the key to this question is does a shot that misses everything AND hit the floor a legitimate attempt or the beginning of a dribble.
It's not obvious to me. The ball hitting the floor is irrelevant to the play as far as I can tell.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey everybody. This is my very first post! Glad to be here...

NFHS case book 4.43.2 Situation B says: A1 attempts a try after ending a dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim, or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? Ruling: no...there was no team control after the ball was released on a try.

I agree with a previous post that said it doesn't matter whether the ball hit the floor or not. Once the 'try' was released, anybody can get the rebound.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Well I thought the play should be legal as well but the answer sheet I was given said no. I was pretty sure the answer sheet was wrong. Glad I'm not the only one.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I actually had this call (or no call to be exact) last night in a JV game. I agree that it is not a violation. Of course the coach asked about it right away and I explained that it was legal in high school and that I THOUGHT it was not in the NBA (it isn't at that level right? I haven't been able to watch more than 5 minutes of an NBA game since I began officiating).
BTW I emphasized thought last night and here because I'm really not sure what the NBA rule is.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

your thought --in NBA it is illegal-- is correct. In NF, NCAA, and FIBA it is legal.

on the playground it is also illegal.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Last night during the Dallas v. Los Angeles game the airball issue came into play. Mike Fratello looked the issue up in the NBA rule book and found it is "illegal" in the NBA. The play is "legal" according to NFHS rules.

[Edited by devobarr on Dec 5th, 2003 at 01:07 PM]
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink re: airball

legal play
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Red face Air ball

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

It appears that this is one of those situation that LOOKS FUNNY, SOMETHING WRONG, CALL IT-----DON'T ----THIS PLAY IS LEGAL! OC you say it was a try, then it's legal, but what if you through it was a pass? If I can't explain it, I don't call it.