The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Best summer camps out west? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11014-best-summer-camps-out-west.html)

zebracz Tue Dec 02, 2003 06:45am

Any good camps out west? For moving from HS to NCAA?

mick Tue Dec 02, 2003 07:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebracz

I got your e-mail, but it didn't say anything ?? :)
mick

garote Tue Dec 02, 2003 09:36am

I go to Dave Hall's in Colorado Springs...But your the one who gets you moved up to NCAA not the Camp

[Edited by garote on Dec 2nd, 2003 at 09:56 AM]

zebracz Tue Dec 02, 2003 07:56pm

Mick, sorry...I guess I didn't mean to send u email. My bad.

Garote,

Hey, I go to Dave Hall's in Logan, UT. How is the Co. Springs camp? I've been intending to attend out there. Have you heard of the St. George camp? Or any others, near?
thx

garote Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:41pm

Zebracz,
I've heard good things about St. George even though it's new, however I've never attended.

Colorado State camp is great. Going again this year

whistleone Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:12pm

I'll second (or third) the comments about Dave Hall's camps. Taught me things I never even knew I needed to learn. One disclaimer for Hall's camp that was made in Logan: You probably won't get "picked up" for college ball at one of his camps. He does have a few assignors/commissioners on his staff but for the most part, they have their own camps where they hire staff. However, you will meet college officials that are more than willing to give you honest feedback about your skills and share with you what it will take to advance to the next level.

Luv4Asian8 Tue Dec 09, 2003 01:37pm

Quote:

How far West are we talking about? If in CA, I attended Melvin Landry's Mechanics Camp for my first time ever on a court (as in, had no idea what Lead/Trail meant). This camp is a part of East Bay Basketball Officials Association, one of the most highly respected associations in the state (maybe in the nation, maybe in the world!) :) I joined this association because of (1) its reputation for TRAINING great officials; and (2) convenince (live near HQ) :)

zebracz Tue Dec 09, 2003 06:53pm

...Melvin Landry's Mechanics Camp for my first time ever on a court (as in, had no idea what Lead/Trail meant). This camp is a part of East Bay Basketball Officials Association... <========= as you say then, how do I find out more about this camp AND this Association?

I've never heard of 'the east bay bball officials assoc.
thx

tomegun Wed Dec 10, 2003 09:32am

The camp in St. George is on the rise. It isn't really new but the guy that runs it now has taken over in the last couple of years. The staff includes NCAA and NBA officials and in the past there have been a JUCO and D1 assigner there.

The Big Sky camp is held in conjunction with the Grand Canyon State Games in Phoenix. Most of the staff are D1 men's and women's officials.

Dave Libbey has a camp in California. I heard the camp he runs was going to change from San Diego to someplace around LA. If you have never heard him speak you will enjoy it. He makes you want to grab a whistle and sprint to the nearest court!

The CCAA (D2) holds their camp in Las Vegas.

Charlie Range also has a camp in Oakland. If you don't know who he is then I will tell you a little. He has been to 6 or 7 final fours and at one time (briefly) he was in the PAC-10 and ACC. I don't know how he even did this. That is a logistical nightmare. His camp only has like 30 campers. The PAC-10, Big Sky, Big West, West Coast assigners will all be there. One more thing, if you are faint of heart this camp is not for you. You have to bring your A game to this camp because Mr. Range does not play! He is one of the nicest guys I met on the west coast but he will tell you like it is!

zebracz Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:36am

Charlie Range is one of the nicest guys I met on the west coast but he will tell you like it is!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've met him. He's cool. Chico State! GO CHICO HEAT!

Luv4Asian8 Wed Dec 10, 2003 01:31pm

Quote:

...Melvin Landry's Mechanics Camp for my first time ever on a court (as in, had no idea what Lead/Trail meant). This camp is a part of East Bay Basketball Officials Association... <========= as you say then, how do I find out more about this camp AND this Association?

I've never heard of 'the east bay bball officials assoc.
thx

http://www.ebboa.org

truly a great family I have joined here! Do you live in the SF Bay Area? If so, you will definitely have a great experience here!

and honestly, I just found out about this camp "by accident." was sent a flyer in the mail, and thought I'd check it out. But if you were to contact this association, I'm sure they can provide better literature to you than I can here.

again, truly having a blast learning from this association!

tomegun Thu Dec 11, 2003 09:13am

Melvin is a nice guy too!