The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, we didn't get a 3-whistle manual this year, so I haven't brushed up on my positioning. Did a game yesterday afternoon and my assignor was there to observe. He had a couple of good comments and then mentioned that my positioning as the C during FTs was way off. The way he explained it to me was something I've never heard before, and I've been to multiple camps over the last 2 years. So. . .

I'm not going to tell you how I was positioned or what he said I should do instead. But I'd like to know how you position yourself, for FTs as the C; or what the manual says we should be doing.

Bottom line is that I'm going to try doing it his way, since he gives me my games. But I'm just taken aback that I could be so far out of the loop that I'd never heard the correct positioning in that situation. Thought, please.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

About a step outside the arc, just a shade higher than FT line extended. Let's you view the shooter, and the players on your side of the lane.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
On page 42 and 43, of the 03-04 CCA manual, the visual representation of C's position is one foot above FT line extended within one step of the sideline. There is no verbal description for c's position other than this:

Adjust position to see the opposite lane spaces for violations and wide enough at the sideline to be in position to see the free throw shooter, flight of the ball, and the rebound. sect A2a

This position will change a little depending on whether you are doing the men's or women's game because of the difference in block positioning. The operative word in this rule seems to be "adjust".
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Ok, we didn't get a 3-whistle manual this year, so I haven't brushed up on my positioning. Did a game yesterday afternoon and my assignor was there to observe. He had a couple of good comments and then mentioned that my positioning as the C during FTs was way off. The way he explained it to me was something I've never heard before, and I've been to multiple camps over the last 2 years. So. . .

I'm not going to tell you how I was positioned or what he said I should do instead. But I'd like to know how you position yourself, for FTs as the C; or what the manual says we should be doing.

Bottom line is that I'm going to try doing it his way, since he gives me my games. But I'm just taken aback that I could be so far out of the loop that I'd never heard the correct positioning in that situation. Thought, please.
Low. If you think you're not too low move down another step or 2.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 06:41am
Huck Finn

I agree with what Chayce said. 1 and 1. 1 step higher than the free throw line extended and 1 step off of the sideline. This is what was acceptable on my part of the West Coast. If someone is telling you to do it another way and they are giving you games I would adjust to whereever they want.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HS manual says "half-way between the nearer lane line and the side-line."

Personally, I think that's too close.

I stand even with the "straight" portion of the arc -- where it intersects with the end-line.

How "high" I am depends on the location of the non-shooters on the line. With the top spot remaining open in HS ball this year, I can be lower -- just so I can see the opposite side. This is somewhere between the top of the circle and about 1-step above the FT line.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Chuck-->

The same thing happened to me at a 3-whistle clinic a few weeks ago. I would assume we're talking about the same thing. Needless to say, I was surprised as well.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
On page 42 and 43, of the 03-04 CCA manual, the visual representation of C's position is one foot above FT line extended within one step of the sideline.
That's where I was. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
This is where he told me I should be!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Hmmm. I seem to remember Phyllis telling us to start a step above the FT line and end up straddling the FT line. Is that low enough for ya?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
On page 42 and 43, of the 03-04 CCA manual, the visual representation of C's position is one foot above FT line extended within one step of the sideline.
That's where I was. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob
This is where he told me I should be!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Hmmm. I seem to remember Phyllis telling us to start a step above the FT line and end up straddling the FT line. Is that low enough for ya?
Depends on what's going on, doesn't it?