Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 05:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Nah, it's just his way of getting me back for calling him "Porky" [/B][/QUOTE]Nah, if I hadda wanted to be mean, I coulda mentioned that my haemmorrhoids are probably bigger than you also. Instead I'll just mellow gracefully into old age.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
If Beltless pants are the new way to go, what about head bands? I shave my head and the sweat is runs down my face.
Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
Forget the head band and go for a diaper!

Ouch!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
WOW, what happened to the simple question? I find the remark about glasses offensive! I wear glasses and CANNOT wear contacts. How about the refs that have been around sence GOD was a privet... I find most to be over weight and can't get down the court. Give it up! As for the belt, to me you are wearing a uniform, like a suit if your paints calls for a belt, wear it. Like a police officer, or a army officer in his DRESS uniform, they have belts. Besides a ref should not be noticed on the court, only the players. Often I see to much "grandstanding" by those with as much shine on there shoes as they have on there hair!
First I have to set the record straight... It depends on what uniform you wear if it has a belt or not... I am an Army Officer and my Dress Uniform (The Blue One) does not have a belt. The ugly green one does.... You can tell I like wearing that uniform cant you?

Second I vote belt less. It is the dress uniform of officiating. When in Rome and all that stuff... I have never seen a referee who has moved to the better ranks doing by wearing a belt.. There is too much deviation in belts... Belt buckles attract attention. Hey if I ref rec ball I have a pair that I wear my black belt from my BDU's it is a great belt and low profile. I use that pair of pants as my backup...

Just ask Drake about my pants splitting mid-game-

-- Of course if he would respond to my emails!!!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

5 pages in less than a day. That's some topic.

I'll make it easy for ya. If you officiate in NC, you WILL wear beltless pants. It's required by the NCHSAA as is the v-neck shirt and all black shoes.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 02:01am
We don't rent pigs

Dangerous generalizations

I live in the south, which means I am backward and ignorant about things in general. Oops, another generalization, perhaps not without some truth in my case. I started calling jr. high games in 1987 in a t-shirt and sweatpants.
When I decided that this was something that I wanted to do, I bought a striped shirt and some black ?wind pants, warmup
pants, whatever you call them, (the kind that go swish, swish when you run, but they're comfortable) and this, along with my beard which I have had since 1980, was my uniform until 3 years ago when I first registered. I even wore white shoes for a while. I called many games with registered officials who encouraged me to join them.
As I contemplated this, I noticed an ad for sansabelt officials pants in a rulebook and wondered, "Would I have to wear these?" (hope not) So I began to notice for the first time what the "real refs" were wearing, and belts were quite common. I would say it is close to an even split. To make a long story short (oops, too late) last week my first varsity game of the year was between two area powerhouses, one 3A, one 5A, and was referred to by some of the guys as our association's biggest game of the year. My conclusion is that the only thing holding me back here is lack of ability and I continue to work on improving this each day. If you have a dress code in your association, by all means follow it, but for me to dress a certain way because D1 or NBA officials do so would be like wearing a tie out to grease the cotton picker because the Commissioner of Agriculture wears one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Only so many slots.

JAR,

Nobody said that you had to wear something just because what they wear at the NCAA or NBA level. But the standards that they have set have filtered down to us HS officials. No different in baseball when Major League Baseball Umpires started wearing the dark blue pullovers.

If you think the only thing holding you back is your ability, that is fine. You might be right. But if you have never been told, you might find out it is something else and it might not have a thing to do with the pants you wear.

I apologize if this discussion offends you, but we are just sharing an issue that many of us have faced. I for one was told to get rid of my goatee for a particular conference. If I want to continue to work in the conference, I better get rid of the facial hair. I know another official that was told he would not be hired because he did too many girls games (assignor only assigned boy's in this particular conference). So these "generalizations" can hold you back. Especially if you are just as good as other officials trying to get those few slots on a staff.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 03:37am
We don't rent pigs

I agree that this has been, for the most part, a reasonable,
civil, discussion, with a few exceptions. (uses of absolutely, never, ever, etc.) I must admit that I have a rebellious nature, which is probably apparent on this board at times. So, if I were "threatened" with: "You can wear a belt if you want, but you will be the only one." I would continue to wear one and never look back. Also, for the record, when I became a registered official I stopped at a sporting goods store in search of "referee's pants." They didn't have any referee's pants, but they did have something called "coaches pants." I said, great, close enough and bought a pair. These pants came unhemmed, which was a hassle, but I measured them and took them to the cleaners and was all set. Apparently coaches don't have to run because in no time these "coaches pants" became frayed in the inner thigh area, a potential serious problem, no?
I have since replaced these with 2 pairs of black pants, one a laundered khaki, the other a plain pair of Farah slacks from (gasp) Wal Mart.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Also, for the record, when I became a registered official I stopped at a sporting goods store in search of "referee's pants." They didn't have any referee's pants, but they did have something called "coaches pants."
Rarely will you find officiating equipment at a sporting goods store. Yes, you'll find a few items but not quality products and not in much quantity.

Curious, I went to Honig's wbsite and looked for black belted pants. I found two SKUs, both of which are being discontinued. I think there's probably a statement there.

I'm also curious as to whether those that wear belted slacks work with partners who were beltless. Comments?
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 11:37am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[QUOTEI'm also curious as to whether those that wear belted slacks work with partners who were beltless. Comments?
I do. It's a random thing. Sometimes I don't even know who my partner is until I get to the gym.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

How about Dockers pants? Just arrived from the gym. One of the guys who was doing the game after mine was wearing black Dockers. And he wonders why he isn't moving up? This ain't no rookie either, he's been at it for 10-12 years.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

When I moved here to Seattle I needed some new pants so I asked our past SOWB president (whom I use as a mentor although he may not claim that distincition) what was worn up here and he said beltless, no big deal, so now I have beltless. At one of our camps (SOWB) I was told (albeit in a somewhat rude and offensive way but the point was taken) to get rid of the glasses and wear contacts which I am now doing. Recently I was told that I need to trim and lose some of the paunch, (I like to use old age as a reason for it), which I am now working on. I appreciated the feedback , this does not make me someone special or better in any way but if it is important and noticeable to the refs that I respect and use as my examples, then I will follow their advice.
I personally do not care which my partners wear as long as they look and act professional. For some money may be tight. I am there to work with them not judge them, I will leave that to the assignors and evaluaters.
I hope everyone has a great season.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
I personally do not care which my partners wear as long as they look and act professional. For some money may be tight. I am there to work with them not judge them, I will leave that to the assignors and evaluaters.
It's not a matter of judging anyone. The appearance of the crew makes an impression. If one official is wearing a v-neck shirt and the other is wearing a byron collared shirt, the crew has already lost one level of professionalism before they even make a call. Slacks are no different.

It's called a uniform for a reason.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree on the shirt. Judge was a poor choice of words. It is interesting that in soccer which I also do our uniforms must match including not only the socks, shorts and color of shirt but also the length of sleeve in our shirts.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 09:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've been out of town for a week or so, and I'm finding reading through this quite interesting.

I've been working basketball since 1987. I've never owned a pair of belted pants. I've lived in six states and I've never seen a top official wearing a belt. As for the underwear question, most guys I work with wear compression shorts or long tights these days. No panty lines

I don't care what people wear, but I'll admit that when I see an official wearing belted pants it makes me a bit wary about what his on-court performance will be. Some surprise me. Most don't. Same with adjustable hat wearers in baseball and football.

I worked one varsity game with a guy in belted pants last season. Worst partner of the year who made fun of me behind my back because I pulled out a court board to do a proper pregame and told him I brought pleated and non-pleated pants so we'd match. I'm sure the belt was a coincidence. Seriously. We didn't match, though. I'm only working regularly with 2 guys this year, so I know I'll match them.

I sure hope the patent leather shoes don't become a trend either. They look sooooo fake.

Rich
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 10:34pm
Huck Finn

Rich, I know this may start something but I agree with you totally about the shoes.