The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nybarefs
I am searching for some new ideas for training referees. Specifically I am looking for:

On-court drills that I could incorporate
Any slide slow presentations
Any graphics available dipicting certain plays (like PlayPics in Referee Magazine)

My audience is young adults ages 13-20, many who are officiating for the first time, but some more experienced referees can handle more complicated drills or discussions.

I appreciate anything that you can send my way.

thanks

Scott Campbell
[email protected]
Director of Officials
Northshore Youth Basketball Association
Bothell, WA
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 07:30am
Huck Finn

One "drill" I did in a camp was to divide into crews and get a list of situations. If you mess up a situation you are pulled off the court immediately. I mean right now! The players are instructed to do all kinds of things that are wrong and you have to catch it. By everything I mean, from the wrong free throw shooter to a fight (which is fake of course). It is total mayhem on the court but it is a big help.

Another demonstration I saw was to have people stand along the areas of primary coverage whether it is two-person or three-person. What this does is make it clear what you should see and shouldn't see. For instance if you are at the lead in two-person and you have people blocking any action above the free throw line that drives home the point that you shouldn't be looking way out there anyway!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Found several good powerpoint slide shows on the Illinois High school association sight last year -- I think.

Someone from Illinois may know for sure, but they had several very nice presentations, it'd be worth taking a look.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by nybarefs
I am searching for some new ideas for training referees. Specifically I am looking for:

On-court drills that I could incorporate
Any slide slow presentations
Any graphics available dipicting certain plays (like PlayPics in Referee Magazine)

My audience is young adults ages 13-20, many who are officiating for the first time, but some more experienced referees can handle more complicated drills or discussions.

I appreciate anything that you can send my way.

thanks

Scott Campbell
[email protected]
Director of Officials
Northshore Youth Basketball Association
Bothell, WA
Scott, I was asked to do similar traning for rec league refs roughly in the same age group and experience as you are. My experience was that you won't be given nearly enough time to do this properly so you've got to have a small number of very specific training ideas that you want them to go away with. For instance start with how to blow the whistle and move into basic mechanics; basic rules like travel, double dribble, throw-in, free throw; basic illegal contact; shoot down some myths and finally some basic game management techniques. This would easily be 1 full night. If you can get the gym for 2 or 3 nights then try & build over your basic themes rather than piling on yet more stuff.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.