The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 12, 2000, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was just watching women's NCAA basketball and noticed on the free throws the lower player was above the block instead of below the block. I heard about a rule change on the number of players allowed on the lines for free throws.

Can one of you NCAA types enlighten us high schoolers about this rule change? Is it a plain move? Is it optional? Is it a early experiment?

Thanks.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2000, 06:29pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
I was just watching women's NCAA basketball and noticed on the free throws the lower player was above the block instead of below the block. I heard about a rule change on the number of players allowed on the lines for free throws.

Can one of you NCAA types enlighten us high schoolers about this rule change? Is it a plain move? Is it optional? Is it a early experiment?

Thanks.

Yeah, Richard. Check this out under Women's hoops.
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_bulletins/
mick
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg

Thanks.

Yeah, Richard. Check this out under Women's hoops.
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_bulletins/
mick

U R Welcome Mic and Richard
sh
keep smiling
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Actually this is only an experimental rule this year. But perhaps we will see it fully implemented next year. I don't particularly care for it but if I gotta, I gotta.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2000, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

According to NCAA rules in order to have a "Preseason or excempt Tournament" the games must use "Experamental rules". So what you saw on TV was just that an experamental rule.

The Men this year had the "International or Trapezoidal key" and the 4foot arc under the basket like the NBA. I don't know where that will take us but the NCAA is in the process of getting all the stats and coaches comments so they will be discussing it at the spring rules committee meeting.

Good Luck
Old Sun Nov 26, 2000, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Trapezoidal key

It seemed that in the games I saw, the trapezoidal key was almost ignored with respect to three seconds. I never saw that rule applied in any of the NIT/PR/Hawaii/Alaska games that I watched this week. There were a couple of occasions where I saw players leave the "paint" but never leave the trapezoidal lane, no three seconds called, but player camped for an extended period. Should've at least made them purchase a camping permit and generate some tourist revenue! Anyone else notice this?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Hawks Coach, i can't remember the last time i saw a 3 second call in major college hoops.

Good Luck
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't NCAA have a different standard than NF - one foot out of lane sufficient? I don't have an NCAA rule book.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Doesn't NCAA have a different standard than NF - one foot out of lane sufficient? I don't have an NCAA rule book.
No. "Touching any lane line ... constitutes being in the lane."