The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 1999, 07:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

I helped with four clinics this past week for two different associations, mostly working with first and second year officials. Two quotes were really funny. I asked them what the penalty was for a multiple foul. They all gave their opinion, then I told them they all were wrong. When they asked why - I told them that a multiple foul call NEVER HAPPENS! All the other veteran refs laughed and agreed wholeheartedly. The second thing - at the end of one of the clinics, I asked the new guys to write down the one most significant thing they learned. Seven of them said the same thing. It was something I told them almost as a joke. They all wrote that the single most significant thing they learned all week was - when taking a leak, tuck your whistle into the top of your jersey in case you splash. Sure, it may be funny, but it's damn good advice.
Old Mon Nov 01, 1999, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Mark,
Always wondered why my whistle tasted differently at the start of the second half...

[This message has been edited by Gary Marshall (edited November 01, 1999).]
Old Mon Nov 01, 1999, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm 6 foot six---I got a feeling I'm taller than you guys.
Old Mon Nov 01, 1999, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A smitty lanyard solves the problem!
Old Tue Nov 02, 1999, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Richard,
Actual tests reveal that urinal spash can reach a height of 4 feet. So the unprotected smitty lanyard will not work...ha ha. Guess you can tell I have extra time on my hands..
Mark, see what you started...

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary Marshall (edited November 02, 1999).]
Old Wed Nov 03, 1999, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Talking

"Actual Tests"

Must have been a federally funded study at some prestigious university.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Wed Nov 03, 1999, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Cool

You guys definately do not have enough games yet.

Drop the smitty and step away.
Old Wed Nov 03, 1999, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

If you drop the smitty, won't the smitty fall in the urinal with the whistle attached and then you have a worst problem?

(No Games, until after 11/15/99)
Old Thu Nov 04, 1999, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by Tim Roden on 11-03-1999 11:28 AM
You guys definately do not have enough games yet.

Tim,
Unfortunately, I am beginning to think I have way too many games. I have 150 game schedule this year and have already worked 12 games. Hope I can keep this light-hearted fun going for the entire season. Will let you know in February. Enjoy yours.
Old Thu Nov 04, 1999, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 11-03-1999 10:46 PM
If you drop the smitty, won't the smitty fall in the urinal with the whistle attached and then you have a worst problem?

(No Games, until after 11/15/99)

I'm thinking of the "drop the chalupa" commercial.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited November 04, 1999).]
Old Thu Nov 04, 1999, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Gary, 150 games? What do you do for a hobby? Let's see, 82 NBA season, 12 NBA pre-season, 14 NBA Playoffs and 42 HS games. Is that how you got to 150?
I will do about 55-60 (all HS)I have not reache your experience plateau yet. That's if my travel schedule at work let's me ( I actually have a real job) and my family does not have a "cow" by early February.
Old Fri Nov 05, 1999, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 11-04-1999 10:21 PM
Gary, 150 games? What do you do for a hobby? Let's see, 82 NBA season, 12 NBA pre-season, 14 NBA Playoffs and 42 HS games. Is that how you got to 150?

Richard,
In Arkansas, most Tuesday and Friday nights have at least 2 games, HS Senior Girls and Senior Boys (Class 4A and up). So, a typical week would be at least 4 Senior HS level games. Then there are Senior HS level Invitational Tournaments usually in the month of December. I average about 50-60 Senior games per year. Then when you throw in the Class 3A schools and below that play a Jr game prior to the 2 Senior games you have a 3 game night. Most of these dates in Arkansas are worked primarily with a 3 man crew. Monday and Thursday nights are Jr/8th/7th grade type games. Some Wednesdays are for JV games. Thus, the 150 game schedule. I typically start around October 15th and go until mid-February.
Yes, I have a real job also. My driving time for most games is never more than a one hour drive in any direction. Many are within 30 minutes. So, there is not much job conflict. My son is in college and my daughter plays soccer in high school, so my schedule does not conflict with their activities. Somehow I am able to maintain both sanity and family unity. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Gary Marshall (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old Fri Nov 05, 1999, 11:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Is that all the games you guys do? Through the end of Oct. (starting Jan 1, 1999), I have done 288 games including all rec leagues. This is a light weekend coming up, since I have no games Sat and only 2 on Sun. I'm sure I will finish well over 300 for the year. Last year, I did about 285. Frankly, this is nothing compared to one guy around here (Camron - you know Jeff Strother). He will do almost 500 games this calendar year! He routinely does as many as 6 or 8 rec league games in a single day! He's only been reffing for 3 years and is a former college player. He played in the Nike World Masters games two years ago and got a cracked rib from one opponent. He didn't know who the guy was until after the game. Then he found out - former NBA player and all around "bruiser" Greg Kite! Ouch!