The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

In highschool, if one official calls a block and another official calls a charge, AND the ball goes in, you report both fouls AND count the basket. I can't find a case play in the NCAA books that addresses whether you automatically count the basket or not in a college game. Does anyone know whether you count it or not?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NC BBRef
In highschool, if one official calls a block and another official calls a charge, AND the ball goes in, you report both fouls AND count the basket. I can't find a case play in the NCAA books that addresses whether you automatically count the basket or not in a college game. Does anyone know whether you count it or not?
True...by the book.
In reality? IMHO you get together with your partner and come up with either one or the other.
In fact, I saw this similiar sitch happen in a district playoff game...officials got together and came up with a charge.
(Basket didn't go in though)

RD
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately it actually happened in our association. There was less than 1 minute to go and the basket was waived off. Both officials gave preliminary signals. After researching it, that exact play is in the highschool casebook. It hasn't happened in a college game that I've had, but the possibility exists. I was just curious if there was a difference.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA men it is a player control foul only if the shooter has not released the shot at the time of the contact. Since this is different than the HS rule (airborne shooter), I would have to say that it should be even simpler than the NFHS ruling (double foul not PC) and that the basket counts in an NCAA men's game.
It is probably also a double foul in NCAA, too, but I think that you have even more justification for counting the shot.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The NCAA (men's) and Fed rules are the same here. Double foul, count the basket, go to the arrow.