Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Udaman, Woodee!
Thanks Mick!!

Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 08:47am
Huck Finn

Depending on the importance of the situation I've been told to make sure the crew it right by any means. If all else fails we may have to go on "record" with our beliefs. U1 to R something like this: "I want it to go on record that I think, by rule, X situation should be handled such and such way." This puts the ultimate burden on the R. If you are the R then the decision made is part of the responsibility.

Nevadaref, often times someone on the crew keeps the crew loose. You helped keep me loose that night. I don't think for one minute you weren't giving max effort. Hey, things happen. How can we criticize a table crew trying to do the job the right way when we make mistakes EVERY time on the court.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing that I did not se mentioned and I am not sure of the full scenerio. Whether you are the new person on the block or the old crusty seasoned veteran.
If you are going to have a discussion, try and keep it away from the coaches while you are trying to deteremine what is right and wrong. Could make the game very interesting down the stretch.

AK ref SE
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Okay, I took you guys advice and signed up with a real association ( I've only worked Rec and Intramural ball). Finished an 8 week clinic and learned a lot.

My first two games were 8th grade girls and I worked with a veteran. Can I say "HAD A BLAST". The gym was packed and the games were fun to call.

Next set of games were 7th grade boys in a packed gym and the first game was interesting. We (I) allowed the wrong team to inbound and they scored. While in the clinic I really studied the correctable errors and have a good understanding of them. I told my partner (3 yr Vet) we couldn't correct the error and she, along with the coaches disagreed. I tried to explain, but she didn't understand and sided with the coaches and removed the score. The second game was close and my partner was still reeling from the first game. I was okay because of the year long stay on this board and was confident. We eventually finshed doing a good job.

Oh, before we started the first game a player approached me and said " Thanks for Reffing our games we know you prefer to do big games". I replied "Thanks and I'm really glad to be here". BIG difference from Rec and Intramural Ball.

Learned there are plenty of opportunities. My goal this year is to work hard and maybe land a Sub varsity game. Well, just yesterday I was assigned to a boys JV and 9th grade game. I had to pass because I was obligated.

Lastly, wanted to say THANKS for the advice, will let you know how things go and will probably have questions too.

Regarding opportunities, I was scheduled for a girls 9th grade game and a girls JV game. Well the 9th grade game was cancelled and it left the JV game and a Varsity game. We worked the JV game 3 person and when I decided to leave (I wasn't scheduled for the Varsity game) the senior official asked if I would do the varsity game and I did.

Here is the scoope:

The JV game ended on a last second shot by the home team down 1 for the win. The varsity game was also exciting. We had the National Anthem, Music and the works. Have to admit, Girls b-ball is very physical and sometimes gets ugly. I actually got my first boo from the crowd when I called a jump ball right when the ball became loose from the players. The fans stopped booing when the saw they had the AP arrow. I laughed inside.

The senior official gave some good feedback. The other guy was distant and didn't say much. On four occasions he called timeout without blowing his whistle. It was weird!!!

Got a question, during timeouts my partners would NOT go to their spots, which left me by myself at the blocks. They would huddle at the center circle. After two times I would grab the ball and go to the spot where we would resume play. What do you do in the sitch?

I'm scheduled for 9th grade boys next week and anxious to see the difference in play.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 10:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Got a question, during timeouts my partners would NOT go to their spots, which left me by myself at the blocks. They would huddle at the center circle. After two times I would grab the ball and go to the spot where we would resume play. What do you do in the sitch?
Unless we all three are meeting in the last coupla minutes, I can be found on my spot, regardless of partners' position.
If they want to meander around in No Man's land, fine.
mick

Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Unless we all three are meeting in the last coupla minutes, I can be found on my spot, regardless of partners' position.
mick

Mick,

Even to the point that it looks like there is NO unity or team?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 10:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
mick

Mick,

Even to the point that it looks like there is NO unity or team?
Screw it. Don't let 'em pull you down.