Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: HawksCoach asked a legitimate question

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
I had a nearly identical situation last year during a State Championship game (8th Grade Great Northwoods league).
Your state runs a championship game for 8th graders?!?!?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
My opinion is we have multiple fouls (approximately the same time) on the shooter. If 1 of the fouls is judged intentional/flagrant we have 4 FTs.

(Well actually my opinion is we have 1 foul, but that kinda takes the fun out of the discussion.)
As with almost all basketball-related matters (and almost no baseball-related matters), I agree with Dan's opinion.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
If I called this in a JH game and he made all four free throws and made a three point shot after words, the seven point swing would probably settle the game.
And the actual odds of one player hitting 4 consecutive FTs and then the same team hitting a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession of JH game would be. . . .?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
56.2.3 Once the penalties have been cancelled the fouls are considered as never having occurred.
They never happened? That sounds odd. Does this mean that they are not recorded against the player[s] involved?!?!
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What about any ensuing injuries? Are they also healed?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: HawksCoach asked a legitimate question

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
I had a nearly identical situation last year during a State Championship game (8th Grade Great Northwoods league).
Your state runs a championship game for 8th graders?!?!?
My JHS squad went to the sweet sixteen in IL in 8th grade (don't ask what year!). My nephew's 7th grade team won the state championship in IL last year. In IL, they actually let them play ball before HS - what a novel concept. In the counties in MD that run MS ball, it scarcely resembles real ball. Montgomery has sixt weeks of practice/play, 3 days per week of either practice or a game, eight games total.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Count the basket (if the ball went in), one FT for the first foul, two FTs for the second foul, ball out of bounds.
You lost me here Bob. Since 1 of the fouls is "intentional or flagrant" we get 2 FTs per foul, no? Per Summary of Fouls immediately following rule 10 in the fed book. Plus count the made basket.
I read the summary as "one shot for each common foul and two shots for each intentional / flagrant foul" not "one shot for each foul if none were intentional and two shots for each foul if any were intentional."

And, to answer HawkCoach's question, I was giving the rule book answer. Whether I'd do that in the game would depend on the time separating the fouls (if one was at the very start of the try, and the other was on an airborne shooter I'd be more likely to call it) and the severity of the second foul, and maybe the tenor of the game (do I need to clamp down on rough play).

That said, I've never called a multiple foul, and have no intention of calling one.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Great Calls! now just shoot them in the order that they occured, shoot the Personal foul, then shoot the Intentional foul and give the ball back to the offense at the division line.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by steve brinlee
Great Calls! now just shoot them in the order that they occured, shoot the Personal foul, then shoot the Intentional foul and give the ball back to the offense at the division line.
Why the division line on an intentional personal foul?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve brinlee
Nope, at the spot nearest the foul.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 20th, 2003 at 09:16 AM]