The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a football official, but love basketball as well. I play in pickup games at my gym and such. One thing that I've never liked about basketball is how fragile it seems to be. What I mean is, it seems like fouls get called on ticky tack things. When I play in a pickup game, unless somebody really affects my shot, I would never call a foul. My question to you as officials is: what do you go by to determine if it is a foul? Is there some standard you use?

In football, say on a holding call, we determine was there any advantage gained, was it at the point of attack, or was safety an issue before we would make our decision. Do you go by the same sort of thought process, or is it simply if a defensive player makes contact with an offensive player on his shot? I know there are different kinds of fouls too, shot fouls, blocking fouls, offensive fouls, charging fouls. I'm mainly curious about shot fouls and maybe blocking fouls. How do you determine what you call on those?

Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball officials rely heavily on the advantage/disadvantage concept in determining what is a foul and what is not.

The rulebook even defines a foul as "contact that creates an advantage". Safety concerns are also part of the thought process.

Some officials and associations believe that the official should "protect the shooter" and may be quicker to call a foul on contact with a shooter. One of the main differences between football and basketball is that on the basketball court, the decision needs to be made sooner because the pace of play is so much quicker.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I'm a football official, but love basketball as well. I play in pickup games at my gym and such. One thing that I've never liked about basketball is how fragile it seems to be. What I mean is, it seems like fouls get called on ticky tack things. When I play in a pickup game, unless somebody really affects my shot, I would never call a foul. My question to you as officials is: what do you go by to determine if it is a foul? Is there some standard you use?
It's amazing how a slight touch on the elbow at just the right time can affect a shot while the same touch has little impact on a pass. To answer your question, it is certainly decided based on what affect the contact has on the play. The question is one of judgement...did it really affect the play?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Simbio: Do you have a secret desire to become a basketball referee? I would encourage you to take the clinic next fall and become certified. If you really enjoy officiating football, then you would probably do well at basketball. At the very least, you would become a student of the rules and get exercise during the winter months. I'm sure some football referees also ref basketball and could point you in the right direction if you want to give it a try.
What do you think??
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

There are several football officials that I know that do both and they've extended the offer to me to officiate basketball. I've thought about it, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Football takes it's toll on time that could've been spent with the family, I'm not sure if I'd want to add another sport to take more time. I already officiate an adult football league in the spring and then high school in the fall. It's nice having an off season where I get to watch the sports I love instead of officiate them. But, honestly, I am still considering it. I'm sure basketball would keep me in better shape than football...LOL...

I realize the pace is faster in basketball and decisions have to be made just as fast. In your opinion, does that cause a lot of errors in fouls called? I think its just that my perception is like that of any other coach or fan that just thinks the refs are wrong and can't see. Perhaps it's just that you know what you see and I'm just an ignorant fan in the stands?