The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a football official and I was discussing basketball with some basketball officials and a thought came to my mind that I just thought I'd throw out there and see what you have to say about it. I'm sure some may have already thought of it anyway.

What if there were flags in basketball like there are in football? How would that change the game? Would it even be possible to do so? I suppose the only way you could do it is if you made it so that you had 4 tries (or plays) to make a basket.

I know this is kinda off the wall, but any thoughts?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I'm a football official and I was discussing basketball with some basketball officials and a thought came to my mind that I just thought I'd throw out there and see what you have to say about it. I'm sure some may have already thought of it anyway.

What if there were flags in basketball like there are in football? How would that change the game? Would it even be possible to do so? I suppose the only way you could do it is if you made it so that you had 4 tries (or plays) to make a basket.

I know this is kinda off the wall, but any thoughts?
Sheez, Simbio, life isn't already complicated enough!?!?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

It's a different game. In football, you have a built in pause after each play to get ready for the next play. This allows the officials time to figure out what happened and how to enforce any penalty.

If you threw a flag in a basketball game, it might be another five minutes of playing time before a stop in play.

I've always been intrigued by ice hockey's use of a delayed penalty where the referee raises his hand to indicate that something has happened, but we are going wait until the play is complete to do anything about it. Something like that may be applicable to basketball.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

And, ...what if a touchdown required putting a ball in an 18" box?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking You have waaaaaayyyyyy too much time on your hands.

There is no need for a flag, we do not mark yardage off based on where we put the flag. And the flag never stops play, you whistle does in football. Just a guess, maybe that is why no other sport I can think about you needs a flag but football.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Andy: Remember in hockey, the call is delayed in case the offensive team scores. If they do, the penalty is ignored and all the others get out of jail (I think). Basketball has too much scoring for this concept, but it would be interesting to try it out. Something tells me this would contribute to unnecessary rough play.

I'm with Rainmaker; keep it simple (ha!)
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey I told you it was an off the wall idea. I suppose it wouldn't be practical or possible to have flags. Which brings up another question:

What major change WOULD you like to see happen to basketball?

I do like the idea of having to put the ball in a 18" goal though. I think that'd make football even more exciting....

Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Delayed Penalty

We do have one in basketball. Defensive lane violation on a free throw.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Delayed Penalty

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
We do have one in basketball. Defensive lane violation on a free throw.
Make it 2 if you include the withheld T. (10.4.1-C).

In addition, many officials will use some form of advantage/disadvantage in basketball, and we're often told to have a slow whistle rather than a fast one.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Mick,

Do you remember the movie entitled "Rollerball", starring James Caan? It was pretty much what you're suggesting here except they did it on roller skates. I thought it was a sport that would really take off. Sure, it was a little violent but what the heck. Pain builds character.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Mick,

Do you remember the movie entitled "Rollerball", starring James Caan? It was pretty much what you're suggesting here except they did it on roller skates. I thought it was a sport that would really take off. Sure, it was a little violent but what the heck. Pain builds character.

Yeah, Barry,
I remember seeing Rollerball.
The plot was somehow forgettable.
mick
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Barry,
I remember seeing Rollerball.
The plot was somehow forgettable.
mick [/B][/QUOTE]

Plot??? There was supposed to be a plot?

Man, I miss out on everything.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

How about making football more exciting by putting all of the coaches in a 14 foot box?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 08:52am
Huck Finn

Simbio, I think you should take some of your ideas and make up a new sport. Keeping the sports unique makes athletes specialize and gives opportunities for others who wouldn't otherwise be involved. All football players can't shoot a jumper but they can block good enough to go pro. Look at the size of linemen. These are athletes that are out of shape.

As far as changing basketball, I think the rules committee does a pretty good job of making the rules make sense. There aren't a whole lot of obscure rules like you can't jump using a teamate to block a field goal or forward throwing motion. None that I can think of at least.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Look at the size of linemen. These are athletes that are out of shape.
You ever see one of those big lineman sprint to block downfield? A lot of those guys can MOVE! If I were 330 pounds, I'd be hard pressed to walk. But those guys, as big as they are, can still bust it downfield.

Quote:
There aren't a whole lot of obscure rules like you can't jump using a teamate to block a field goal or forward throwing motion. None that I can think of at least.
None?