The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 07:09am
In Memoriam

Question

In the area of unknowns, I wonder about the placement of the whistle.
Is it Dead Center, Left, or Right.

I go dead center. But one of the problems with that position is that it's quite impossible, for me, to talk with the Fox in position.
Going left, or right, seems to allow a certain amount of communication, but when I try, I wonder if the words can even be understood.

Going dead center *looks* funnier than going to the side, but I have never been one to talk outa the sides of my mouth. Given a slight cold my whistle may get a little damp and slightly salty tasting.

With the whistle on a side, is it possible to get the volume? I usually end U.P. with weak whistle and a slightly damp floor in front of me.

So, I continue to blow straight under the nose, cuz I don't, otherwise, know how to do it.

Any advice? Advantages? Disadvantages?
mick

Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 07:23am
Huck Finn

Thanks for the chuckle on this second monday.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Center

I used to do a side thing... found that occasionally my whistle would be against my cheek and that I would only get half the sound coming out of the whistle. Half of a Fox 40 is still enough but I had people tell me that it sounded kind-a sick. Now I do center only. Mick are you telling me that I look funny with my whistle in the middle? Thanks!

I do have to remove my whistle as I talk to players (like talking to the post players while I'm Lead) but I also get noticed there (not necessarily looking funny but being heard) because I now get better volume when I speak. My comments are directed at the offending players without any impediment (whistle). Also less chance of inadvertant whistle while I'm talking because it isn't in my mouth. Works well.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught early and kind of agree, that if the whistle is in the side or corner of your mouth it looks lazy. We all know the importance of apperance when were on the court and this is just one more way to "look the part" by keeping the whistle in the front of your mouth.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a football official so please forgive the ignorance, but do you keep the whistle in your mouth the whole time? What do you do on inadvertant whistles?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I'm a football official so please forgive the ignorance, but do you keep the whistle in your mouth the whole time? What do you do on inadvertant whistles?
Except for the jump ball, an occasional word with a participant, to lick lips, during time-outs.

I just push it out with my tongue on a dead ball, but I hold it during a live ball. Having one of those stringy things keeps it going in the right direction.

Remember those *idiot strings* for mittens that went through both arms of a coat, attached to both mittens, so the mitten(s) would not get lost get lost when the coat was removed?
I lost the coat.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 06:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Panic. Freeze. Then call a T to save face.

adam
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yup.

We tend to have fewer IW's, though. In my limited football experience, IW's come from situations that simply require a flag or beanbag but the official accidentally tweets. Having the whistle out of the mouth in that case prevents the IW.

As to talking with the whistle, I often have to talk to players on the line before the snap - I've gotten to the point where I can clench the whistle in my teeth and still get my point across of what I want to say.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Inadvertant whistle?!?...I can't recall ever having...Oh! You mean a three seconds call.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
I keep the whistle in the middle. If I need to talk to the players, I take it out of my mouth...about 3-4 inches away in case I need to shove it back in for a quick whistle. After I'm done talking, it goes right back in. I have never missed a call yet...that is, one in which my whistle was out of my mouth! I can't speak to the my other calls!!
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

They have this new invention called a mini 40...its as loud as the original but a little smaller.. you can speak with it whether right, middle, or left.....

Sorry sarcasm just comes with the job
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Smile When I was young and foolish

When I first started off officiating, I always kept the whistle in my mouth when doing the jump ball. Then I was reading a guide to officiating and saw that it was recommended to remove the whistle from the mouth prior to the toss.

So my very next game, I blow my whistle prior to the toss, remove the whistle and toss the ball. I become the trail and we go up and down the court a few times. I am now the lead and A1 drives the lane and gets hacked as he goes up. I raise my fist and start my bird dogging and blow but do you think I ever put the whistle back in my mouth. NO.

I quickly grab for the darn thing and put into my mouth and blow. However, by this time, the ball has started to go the other way. Boy, Coach B was not too happy as I went to go report the foul.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Young and Foolish

When I first started off officiating, I always kept the whistle in my mouth when doing the jump ball. Then I was reading a guide to officiating and saw that it was recommended to remove the whistle from the mouth prior to the toss.

So my very next game, I blow my whistle prior to the toss, remove the whistle and toss the ball. I become the trail and we go up and down the court a few times. I am now the lead and A1 drives the lane and gets hacked as he goes up. I raise my fist and start my bird dogging and blow but do you think I ever put the whistle back in my mouth. NO.

I quickly grab for the darn thing and put into my mouth and blow. However, by this time, the ball has started to go the other way. Boy, Coach B was not too happy as I went to go report the foul.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Re: Young and Foolish

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
I raise my fist and start my bird dogging and blow but do you think I ever put the whistle back in my mouth. NO.

I don't think I'll throw any stones at that move.
Sounds like something I could have easily done.
mick
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Young and Foolish

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK

I would still recommend keeping the whistle out of your mouth - the embarassment of a really late whistle isn't nearly as bad as having your teeth chipped/knocked out.