The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball vs. Football (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10788-basketball-vs-football.html)

DownTownTonyBrown Thu Nov 13, 2003 05:56pm

Bidders?

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green
Tony
I'd take you up on your offer but somehow I just dont think the PRES and SECDEF would let me outta here for a game. Although it would be sure as heck more fun than this place

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark DexterI'll bid 215!!!!!!
It's looking like it might be yours Mark! I'll let Steve know. :D

PS. I've got another game next Wednesday in Idaho Falls... Anyone... anyone... ?

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 13th, 2003 at 04:59 PM]

Nicos Fri Nov 14, 2003 05:47am

basketball-football

As been said, it's impossible to say which sport is the most hard to ref. But the mechanics and appearance are propably more important for a basketballref. than for any other sport.
The size of the basketball playing field (length about 28 meters) is much less than a soccer or football field. Because there isn't much space between direct offenders and defenders, with the fact they have to jump in order to make a fieldgoal and are playing very close on the target, reffing a basketballgame is a very accurate and precise profession. Maybe more than every other game where a ref is needed.
Above that, more score attempts are carried out with bball than others(as far as I know). Am I wrong? Let me know.

Dutch basketball ref.

JRutledge Sun Nov 16, 2003 03:03am

Re: basketball-football

Quote:

Originally posted by Nicos
As been said, it's impossible to say which sport is the most hard to ref. But the mechanics and appearance are propably more important for a basketballref. than for any other sport.

There might not be a way to determine in many folks minds, but I do know one thing. I have seen officials that are very good football officials or good baseball umpires, and cannot officiate a good basketball game to save their life. Or at the very least, have not achieved the same level of success that they have in football or baseball/softball for example. But usually officials that are good basketball officials, are very good officials in other sports.

It seems to me that being a basketball official you never get a game off officiating, like you might in the other sports. Depending on you position as a football official, you might not ever make certain calls the entire game. Same if you umpire baseball. I just think you have to have all the aspects of officiating together to officiate basketball.

Peace

Andy Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:33am

Good call, Rut!

When I first started officiating basketball, I had a mentor that said he could take a good basketball official and teach him/her to be a good official in almost any other sport, but it was difficult to take another sports official and make him/her a good basketball official.