The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I came back last year from being gone for about 4 years. The rule that took my eyes off the other players was the closely gaurded count. I would see other officials doing it and would ask them "Can you see the other players in your area while you count?" Half of them would say "Kinda" and others would say "not really". I would like to know if I should use periferal vision to watch the closely gaurded and still see the other players, and also how long before I start the closely gaurded count?(If you could add up all the time that you are counting through an entire game it would probably equal around 2000+!)
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyking
I came back last year from being gone for about 4 years. The rule that took my eyes off the other players was the closely gaurded count. I would see other officials doing it and would ask them "Can you see the other players in your area while you count?" Half of them would say "Kinda" and others would say "not really". I would like to know if I should use periferal vision to watch the closely gaurded and still see the other players, and also how long before I start the closely gaurded count?(If you could add up all the time that you are counting through an entire game it would probably equal around 2000+!)
Wouldn't this usually be your competitive match-up? I would think "most" of your attention should be paid to these two players. I would obviously be watching for screens, double teams etc...

Rule 4-10 states that a closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her team's frontcourt, is guarded by an opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
yes you need to use your periferal vision to watch other players. The closely guarded situation should be where most of the action is though. I can do a closely guarded count and see most screens close to the two players. You also need to trust your partner(s) to catch most of the off ball action. When you don't have the ball in your area, you need to be watching off ball and use your periferal vision to watch for the ball coming into your area.

I do remember watching a game being worked two man that had an interesting situation that I never did figure out how to handle. Ball was at the top of the key, trail was watching the ball. Lead was watching the key.

Just two the right of of the trail and out of his periferal vision but not in leads area a shoving match/fight was going on. Everyone in the building saw it but the offiicals.

The more I think of it, the more I think, lead should have been able to see it with his extended perifieral vision.