The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

A1 attempts a cross court pass from behind the 3 point arch. The pass, which is deflected by B1 who is also behind the 3 point arch, enters the basket. Do we score 2 or 3 points?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

2 points, not a try.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink 3 points!

Last years rule change. 5-2-1

A successful try, tap or thrown ball that does not touch the floor, a teammate or official, from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch line counts three points.

So it also wouldn't matter if B1 was inside the 3-point line it still counts for 3 because the thrower/shooter was behind the 3-point line!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

It was not a try, tap or thrown ball---it was a pass...the key is "pass".
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the term "thrown ball" would refer to a pass in this case. I would not hesitate to give the signal for 3 on this basket.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

It would have to be very obvious it was a pass. Examples; If A1 in back court and threw the ball to A2 in the front court and B1 deflects the ball when it is in its downward flight, then two points if goes in the basket. However, if A1` is a few feet behind the 3 point line and throws the ball in the direction of the goal to A2, and B1 is in front of A1 and deflects the ball into the goal then I have 3points.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 3 points!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Last years rule change. 5-2-1

A successful try, tap or thrown ball that does not touch the floor, a teammate or official, from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch line counts three points.

So it also wouldn't matter if B1 was inside the 3-point line it still counts for 3 because the thrower/shooter was behind the 3-point line!
APHP & Bart,

Please re-read DownTown's post above.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 05:47pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
The way I understand the rule is if A throws the ball from behind the arc and it gets tipped in by anyone other tahn a teammate or an official it is three points period. Doesn't matter if the player was table side passing a ball to someone opposite table and a defender deflected a pass and it turned 90 degrees and went in, if he/she was behind the arc it counts for three.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

WSOHL
You are correct - that was the rule as of last year. No more guessing as to the intent of the thrower. If thrown, deflected by defense, and goes in thrower's basket, it was a try and it is a three.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:00pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I know the answers but I'll ask anyway since it is along the same lines. I'm sure most here know the answer too.

A1 gets turned around and shoots from behind the arc into B's basket, two or three points?

Also, A1 gets fouled in this act, do they get three shots or ball out of bounds?

Again I know the answers.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Q-1 2 points
Q-2 out of bounds unless you are in the bonus
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Despite what the new rule says, I think you have to give 2 pts on the following play due to an older casebook play.

A1 throws the ball from behind the 3-pt line it hits B1 in the head while he is standing in the lane and deflects into Team A's basket.

4.40.4 Sit B

This is why I am going to call it the way Bart suggests:

Examples; If A1 in back court and threw the ball to A2 in the front court and B1 deflects the ball when it is in its downward flight, then two points if goes in the basket. However, if A1` is a few feet behind the 3 point line and throws the ball in the direction of the goal to A2, and B1 is in front of A1 and deflects the ball into the goal then I have 3points.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
I know the answers but I'll ask anyway since it is along the same lines. I'm sure most here know the answer too.

A1 gets turned around and shoots from behind the arc into B's basket, two or three points?

Also, A1 gets fouled in this act, do they get three shots or ball out of bounds?

Again I know the answers.
This is casebook play 4.40.2, and please notice that the ball becomes dead at the time of the foul since this is not a try. Therefore, if the ball is not through the basket yet it does NOT count for 2 pts for the other team.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Pass definition

Pass: "a pass is movement of the ball by a player who THROWS, bats, or rolls, the ball to another player. So we score three points!
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

When the pass is in its downward flight and a def. deflects the ball, then at this point I don't consider it a pass from one teammate to other. So, if the ball goes in the basket, I think we have to score it two points, because the opponent scored the basket at the wrong end. I have to give it more thought about a ball in its upward flight, being passed in a direction away from the goal and a def. deflects the ball in the basket. I'm leaning toward this to be a two point goal also for the same reason. I think the pass ends when the def. deflects the ball. But, again it would have to be obvious it to everyone it was not in the direction of the goal and an attempted pass to a teammate.