The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not the play we started with...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Despite what the new rule says, I think you have to give 2 pts on the following play due to an older casebook play.

A1 throws the ball from behind the 3-pt line it hits B1 in the head while he is standing in the lane and deflects into Team A's basket.

4.40.4 Sit B

This is why I am going to call it the way Bart suggests:

Examples; If A1 in back court and threw the ball to A2 in the front court and B1 deflects the ball when it is in its downward flight, then two points if goes in the basket. However, if A1` is a few feet behind the 3 point line and throws the ball in the direction of the goal to A2, and B1 is in front of A1 and deflects the ball into the goal then I have 3points.
I see your points but these are different plays: 4.40.4 is an obvious shot attempt that has failed at the time it is below the rim... bounces in now, two points.

5.2.1 is "unkown?" It is not posed as a shot attempt that has failed. I sense (and I know that I'm reading more into the casebook play) that this is a throw that has a possibility of entering the basket and is "legally touched." By legally touched I assume the casebook play means with hands/forearms and not bouncing off the unaware defender's head.

These two situations could easily be construed as conflicting but I don't really think they are. The difference in our responses Dan, is probably in how we read/interpretted the original scenario "deflected by B1." Bounce off his head is a definite deflection and so is a touch from a block attempt. One will get the passer three points the other gives the defense a head ache and two points for the passer/shooter's team.