The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

How does everyone pack their bag(s) in order to keep your stuff from getting wrinkled on the way to the game?

I've tried a few things that work well...but I wonder if there is a fool-proof method. Anyone have this method??
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I usually just hang my pants over the hanger that has my jacket, and I put my shirt in my bag on top of everything else.

What kind of pants are you using? I have the sansabelt, and they seem to be rather difficult to wrinkle.

Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Polyester wrinkles???

I thought this whole time I could wear that stuff through a nuclear blast and come out looking freshly pressed!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
How does everyone pack their bag(s) in order to keep your stuff from getting wrinkled on the way to the game?

I've tried a few things that work well...but I wonder if there is a fool-proof method. Anyone have this method??
Gee when I read the title I thought you were talking about yourself not your clothes. I agree with ref in rehab--I never had a problem with wrinkles for the polyester.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, the main reason I ref is I can wear double knit

And not get slammed.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 09:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Portable steamer thingy.

For long trips (2 hours), I bring a hanging bag.
Plastic boxes in a duffel will keep clothes in place for a while with minimal wrinkling.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had any problems with wrinkles in ref shirts - even when they've been stuffed in a suitcase for 14+ hours.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Worked a game a couple of years ago with a "grizzled veteran" and he folded his pants around a sheet of newspaper and said they never wrinkled. He laid his pants flat, layed down the newspaper, and folder the pants over a couple of times. They looked good when he took them out of his bag.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

In my association, there is at 39.7% of the refs dont care too much about the appearance: Dark-like pants, wrinkled shirts, shoes w/color stripes even its black in background, reffing with shirts half loosen out. ear rings, necklac seen, you name it. Amazingly, I saw a most senior ref on white jogging shoes. Their philosophy is: its Ok, this is not an important nor the high level game. I'm a wierd in their eyes. Nevertheless, most executive appreciated my standard appearance.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Garment bag. This also keeps street clothes neat and tidy during the game. I have the kind that doubles back so I can hold it down at my side. One handle in each hand feels balanced, and works.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
In my association, there is at 39.7% of the refs dont care too much about the appearance: Dark-like pants, wrinkled shirts, shoes w/color stripes even its black in background, reffing with shirts half loosen out. ear rings, necklac seen, you name it. Amazingly, I saw a most senior ref on white jogging shoes. Their philosophy is: its Ok, this is not an important nor the high level game. I'm a wierd in their eyes. Nevertheless, most executive appreciated my standard appearance.
what is your association? Chinese/HK residents reffing FIBA HK games or an association just for the international schools?

Here in Tokyo we have two seperate systems--Japanese associations that ref japanese schools/ clubs with FIBA rules. And two foreigner run associations run through the American bases where 99% of the refs are military or retired military. ( I am the 1%). These association does all the military/international schools games and all the rec ball games on the bases. Rarely do the two cross over. I think I am the only one to have reffed in both.

Your association sounds like the eastern japan international schools. A few schools that just play each other and they aren't near any military bases to get trained experienced refs- so teachers/coaches ref and wear whatever they can get. The quality is lower but everyone knows that before the games ever start and accept it--usually. They take what they can get.

One year they asked me and a couple of other refs from up here in tokyo to go down and ref their end of year tourney. Had to turn it down because my wife/boss didn't want me to do a 500 mile road trip (even on the bullet train).
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:45am
Huck Finn

Talking

Indy, a good rolling bag. Always keep a good hangar in the bag (wooden) for your street clothes. Put your pants on top and you should be OK. Also, I have seen a drop in the quality of pleated pants from the same manufacturer. Fortunately for me I was in a state that accepted pleats early on and I got several pairs of the thicker pants. Some of the newer ones seem to have more cotton in them or something. Mine have plenty of those two sisters in them.