The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm actually excited. I've been using Converse Run 'N Ref shoes since 1994 or so. About 5 seasons ago, I bought up a half-dozen or so pair at a Converse outlet when they had a huge sale.

I wore the last pair last season. I also came to the realization that, while familiar, they weren't the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Seeing that New Balance is making their 609 shoes in all black (and selling them at the officials supply places online) I went to the local New Balance store to try some on. They had the exact same shoe there for the same price Gerry Davis and Honig's sells them.

I had another ankle injury recently (got scoped in 1999) and got fitted for orthotics. I was thinking that a wider width shoe would be able to hold the orthotic and my foot comfortably and I was right. I had a person measure my feet and it turns out that with a proper width I'm in a shoe 1 full size smaller. Turns out I have a EE foot and because of the orthotic I bought a 4E (which neither Honig's or GD Sports carries). I've never had such a comfortable shoe in my life for hoops. I'm thinking maybe I'll go through a season without having really bad heel pain.

Anyone else switch shoes lately? Any other new clothing? I switched from Cliff Keen pleats last season to Honig's pleats in an athletic cut this year. Really comfy and fit better on my legs and backside.

First game 16 days away. My pants will be ready tomorrow

Rich
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

The Run'nRef was a good shoe for it's time but it's old technology. The new shoes are built like todays' sneakers. They provide much better support and comfort than officiating shoes did 5 years ago.

I like Honigs products but I honestly don't like their slacks. The material used to make the pocket is much to thick. So thick ,in fact, that I had to cut them out of the pair I bought last year.

This year, I bought Sansabelt.

Scrimmage on Thursday night, football playoffs Friday night, two more scrimmages on Saturday.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 09:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

I noticed the pockets. Frankly, I wish they'd make pants WITHOUT pockets -- I don't need them on the court anyway and it's not like I wear my basketball pants anywhere else.

I bought the Cliff Keen's last year and since I'm the same weight I was the end of last basketball season (which is a miracle ) they fit the same. The waist is perfect, but the pleats push out just a bit, which drives me crazy cause it looks like the pants aren't big enough. The only manufacturer I've found that makes a pant with extra room in the seat/thigh area is Honig's.

I suppose I could get a pair tailored, but I'd rather not.

Rich
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I picked up some Addidas Superstar 2Gs last year and they are extremely comfortable (in fact I think I have 4 pair in the same style for working out, playing hoops, etc.). I really like them but they were hard to find. I bought them through Eastbay.com, which has a good selection and the prices aren't too bad. They run some really good closeouts at the end of the season.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
I have changed a few things...

This year I went with the NB 609. First college exhibition was last night. I wore the shoes without breaking them in. I was worried about that...but didn't have one problem! They fit so nice they feel like slippers!

I've gone to the Sansabelt pants from Haggar. Like the fit better...let's see how long they last. Two pairs of Haggars lasted 5 years.

Bought a new Cliff Keen official's shirt...extra long. Fits tighter around the neck compared to my 3 Bristols...but I'm okay with it. Extra length does the trick in keeping my shirt in. I'm skinny and don't want to wear the flex belt!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I switched to New Balance last year after wearing only Converse (Run n Ref, then Whistle) for my first 7 years. The New Balance are far superior in comfort, lighter weight and so far, durability. I used to get heel pain in Converse. Not a problem with the NB 608s (which have been replaced by the 609s).

As for pants, I haven't noticed a quality difference between Sansabelt brand and Honigs. They fit a little differently.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 09:19pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I picked up some Addidas Superstar 2Gs last year and they are extremely comfortable (in fact I think I have 4 pair in the same style for working out, playing hoops, etc.). I really like them but they were hard to find. I bought them through Eastbay.com, which has a good selection and the prices aren't too bad. They run some really good closeouts at the end of the season.

I have been wearing the SS2G for about the last 4-5 seasons. they are BY FAR the best shoe I have ever worn to ref. I will be hard pressed to find something i like better.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I just bought a new pair of New Balance 608's I love them. I was accustomed to wearing converse all star whistle's but I like these NB's alot better, I am wondering about Nike Monarch's I liked the style of those better. Does anyone have any feed back on this shoe. thanks
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Monarchs and the NB's. I perfer the Monarch over the NB's. The toungue of the NB is more constricting at the top (depends on the foot's shape) but otherwise, the fit seems similar.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have a two year old pair of Converse Run-N-Refs, a year old pair of NB 609's, and this year I bought a pair of Riddell shoes for $19.50 off EBAY. Normally I wouldn't buy a shoe this way, but the price was so good that I had to take a chance. I've only tried them on so far, but they feel good around the house. Of course running up and down the court is a whole other matter.

As for my favorites, I would have to say it is the NB so far. I loved the Converse for the first 1/2 season I owned them, but they seemed to lose all cushioning in the forefoot very quickly. It got to the point that I can't do more than 2 games in them or else I'll end up hobbling around for a few days due to my sore feet. The NB on the other hand are comfortable from start to finish. I've worked 7 games in them without a problem. Hopefully the Riddell shoes will be like this too.