The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I was reviewing the new (mechanics)Officials Manual and noted diagrams 9 and 11 on pages 25 and 26...

What is the difference in the situations shown in these two diagrams?

11 seems to say that the lead should definitely come across the key to cover the ball. The lead now has primary coverage.

9 says...? He doesn't have to come across? as in days past. Primary coverage still belongs to the Trail?

Diagram 9 was in the 2001-2003 Manual. Diagram 11 is new this year.

I personally didn't attend a camp this summer but it appears that the proper mechanics have taken a change for the better and that diagram 9 ought to be removed.

Will someone in the know please straighten me out here? Thanks!
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

This is how I view your query, but I'm not sure if my understanhding is correct:

If you read the text on p. 22, #204 describes the Lead's responsibilities. The gray shaded text is added from last year's manual. I think the diagrams #9 and #11 just show you what the coverage is depending on the Lead's decision (to stay or go ball-side). The manual seems to describe two mechanic possibilities (stay or go) but does not commit to the ball-side choice. Instead, it leaves it up the your local HS association guidelines, and pregame conference.

Maybe NFHS thinks this mechanic is too advanced or, (more likely) "old" guys don't want to learn it and use it.
Kind of like getting ancient baseball umpires to use the "V" system for outfield coverage.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

My memory is going

I went back to section #204 and found that I had underlined "Having the Lead move ball-side leaves one half of the court completely uncovered, therefore officials should use this mechanic sparingly..."

Diagram 9 does show 7 players in the Trail's primary area... although I think if the timing is right, based upon how deep the ball is (toward the end line) a Lead switch to the other side of the key may well be called for in diagram 9.

Diagram 11 shows 6 players in the Trail's primary area with 2 others impending but still in the key... However this time the ball is rather high (near the 3-point line and foul line extended). A Lead switch here seems premature.

Of course one must take into account the tone of the game and who the player is with the ball (Does he drive? Does he pass? Is he over his head when he gets near the big guys in the key?) Da-da-da-da-da... and you can't get that sense of the game from a diagram.

Your understanding is likely right-on, Nine. Stay or go it is the Lead's decision; Trail makes the adjustment if Lead takes responsibility for the ball by moving ball side.