The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm taking the NFHS test for the FIRST time on Monday, November 3. I've been studying old tests and the case book, but I'm still very nervous about it. I would certainly welcome any study tips from the book, sections to spend more time on than others, or sites to visit that have study questions. Please Help!

Any words of advice or things to look out for?

It sounds like the test we're taking is a 50 question test, not a 100 question test. Any idea what this is all about?

Thanks.
Eric
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Read the question and when you think you know what it says. read it again. make sure you see all the nots and allows and see how they twist the wording. Second, memorize 2-10-3 and study rule 4 thuroughly and the new rules. This is where most of your quesitons will come from. Have an late night intense study session with your friends who are also taking the test with someone who has been there before. You will get a lot from it. The case book will help. I found a lot of the questions come straight out of it with a twist.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

A 50-question test? Are you taking the IAABO test? If so than 90% of your study should be the casebook, 9% the definitions from the NFHS Rules Book and 1% everything else.

If this is a Fed test know the definitions, the correctible errors, they types of fouls, like false double and so on, and study any changes this year. You can bet your last cent that there will be at least one question on the block/charge change.

Take your time and reread the question before you answer it. DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO A QUESTION THAT IS NOT THERE!!! Oh, if you are using past test be sure that I rule has not changed since the test was given.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
A 50-question test? Are you taking the IAABO test? If so than 90% of your study should be the casebook, 9% the definitions from the NFHS Rules Book and 1% everything else.

uhmmmm....1% of 50 is a half a question.

anywho...I'll add know all new rules & interps and read each question carefully. Not saying they like to put "trick" questions in there but...
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
tips
1 Fully understand live ball dead ball- don't connect it with the clock
2 Understand the roles and differences between on official and a Referee
3. Know the 5 correctable errors
4. Know the types of fouls- especially the ones not used often false double etc
5. Know the court, the ball, and the coaches box (facts)
6. Read section 4 each time you study your manual
7. know the new rule changes
8. Know what a player can and can not wear
9 Read each question 3 times

Good luck!

Stew in VA
CVBOA

Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Sit by somebody real smart
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Read the question and when you think you know what it says. read it again. make sure you see all the nots and allows and see how they twist the wording. Second, memorize 2-10-3 and study rule 4 thuroughly and the new rules. This is where most of your quesitons will come from.
Don't you mean all of 2-10 or 2-10-1 (the situations that are correctable)? Or are there that many questions from 2-10-3?
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

if the question is an interminably long one (this player did this, then this player came off the bench and participated in the fight, followed by these six players doing this...) then the answer is: the official was correct. They always make the tests that way
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 06:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It may or may not help.

1. Read Definitions and understand Definitions (Rule 4). You will not understand the rules of basketball or any other part of the rules of basketball if your understanding of Rule 4 is limited.

2. Buy the Athletic Rules Study Program. It is probably too late unless you order overnight mail, but that is the best program. But if the test is a NF test, they tend to ask the same questions year in, year out. ARS is the best tool to understand the repetitive questions. You will get half of them right from this alone.

http://www.rules-study.com/

3. Other than that, you are not going to do very well on your first try. Not to say you cannot pick up on the rules, but it takes some time to understand the language, the terminology and to understand what all those words mean. Mainly because it is hard to visualize what is on paper without some experience. Basketball is not the hardest rules to understand in the world, but understanding what you have never experienced is very difficult. So if you do all the studying in the world, you might not do very well on the test. And if you do, you have some great memorization skills, which you might just have.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 31, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I was suprised and unprepared for the questions over equipment, specifically stuff about double rims, backboard size, etc. Things that we need to check out, but that are often times taken for granted. I know I have.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2003, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I would add is that constant review of the rules (during the season and in the off-season) is better than cramming for the exam. That is dificult in your first year, but it gets easier with experience.

I have a friend who is a good official, but his test scores are usually mediocre. His problem is reading comprehension, he really struggles with long questions. That'a unfortunate because when he is on the floor he kwows how to apply the rules, but on paper it's another story.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Eric,

As a 42 year-old automation designer who decided to head back to college last year when the economy went sour, I can add a few helpful study hints:

#1 - Remember, it's not how much you study but how WELL you study. Read the sections that you feel you are struggling with and make a question sheet for yourself. Keep going over the tough questions until you can answer them correctly without looking back into the rulebook.

#2 – Study right before going to bed. The mind has a way of re-churning the info during sleep and will help “lock” it in your mind.

#3 – Don’t try to cram all night unless you know from experience that you are good at this. Get a good night’s sleep and study again when you wake up on the day of the test.

#4 – When taking the test, read the COMPLETE question before answering.

#5 – If you have time when you complete the test, go back over the questions, but by all means DO NOT change your original answer unless you are SURE that you made a mistake.

Here is a good pre-test site that I used before I took my test last year:

http://www.rusty1.com/officiating/quiz/quizstart.htm

Be aware that the test was created for the 2002-2003 rules.

Good Luck,

RockÂ’n ref
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 10:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock'nRef

Here is a good pre-test site that I used before I took my test last year:

http://www.rusty1.com/officiating/quiz/quizstart.htm

Thanks for the link. That is an excellent refresher, and a well setup quiz.

Kudos to Rusty!