The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2024, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Microburst Of Mayhem ...

The jump ball is a forgettable anachronistic formality, a microburst of mayhem, as outdated as two-hand set shots, laced basketballs, peach baskets, and chicken wire cages around the perimeter of the court.

That being said:

6-1-2-A: The ball becomes live when: On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the official’s hand(s).

6-3-1: For any jump ball, each jumper must have both feet within that half of the center restraining circle which is farther from his/her basket.

6-3-7-B: Neither jumper must: Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.

6-3-8: The jump ball and the restrictions in 6-3-7 end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight non-jumpers, an official, the floor, a basket or backboard. Note: During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle. The jumper is also not required to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball.

Regarding 6-3-7-B, touched by whom?

The non-jumpers only?

Also the jumpers?

Any player?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 29, 2024, 07:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Can non-jumpers touch the ball before jumpers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 29, 2024, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Depends on how long their arms are, and how true the toss is.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2024, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Jumpers are allowed to touch the ball no more than twice. This is why the rule says that the jump ball ends when the ball contacts the floor, an official, or a non-jumper, or the ball becomes dead some other way. For those leagues with jump balls in the free throw circles, the jump ball also ends when the ball touches the backboard.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2024, 09:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lopsided Jump Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Depends on how long their arms are, and how true the toss is.
Yeah, I worded the question poorly.

Had a jump ball yesterday where B1 was much, much shorter than A1 and thought that he was definitely going to lose the jump ball so he backed up outside of the circle without even attempting to jump, figuring to act as a fifth "non-jumper" on his team to get the ball.

Trouble was, he backed out on my partner's (the tosser) whistle, before the ball was tossed, to become live.

Because the ball never became live, my partner called him back and warned him not to do it again which led to a reset and a normal jump ball.

What if B1 backed up outside of the circle after the toss, but before A1 had tapped (touched) the tossed ball?

Violation?

Jump ball had not ended as the ball had only been touched by a jumper, not a nonjumper, floor, or official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
6-3-7-B: Neither jumper must: Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
I say violation.

I've only seen the play once in forty-plus years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 30, 2024 at 09:12am.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2024, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if B1 backed up outside of the circle after the toss, but before A1 had tapped (touched) the tossed ball?

Violation?
Yes. Shouldn't even be a question.

I've had it a time or two -- and twice this year I've had non-jumpers run onto the circle (from off it) for a violation.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2024, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

We have a team that puts all 4 girls in their soon to be front court. It caught me for a second thinking oh man they are going to attack! The jumper taps the ball back to herself. So then it caught me for a second oh crap .. then the ball bounced and she retrieved it and all was well in the world.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2024, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump Ball Hatred ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Shouldn't even be a question.
Both my partner and I discussed a lot about possible "what if" situations.

What if the jumper who refused to jump backed up after the whistle, but before, during, or after the toss, and had stayed inside the jump ball circle until after the ball was tapped by the other jumper?

Or even basked up and stayed inside the circle before the whistle (as I believe that he did) and stayed inside the jump ball circle until after the ball was tapped by the other jumper?.

Legal.

While the gym yesterday had an "ancient times" smaller concentric circle inside the jump ball circle, I believe that this is now irrelevant and is no longer required, considered, or used by the current rules.

I believe that the old rule was that a jumper must have one foot inside that smaller concentric circle, but I forgot how long he was required to keep it there, maybe until after the toss?

We also discussed that had the nonjumping jumper's ploy worked (and was legal) he wouldn't be allowed to possess (grab) the ball (unless touched by a nonjumper, the floor, or an official), as he was still considered a jumper (however he could still legally tap the ball from outside the circle).

Odd play. Probably (and hopefully) never see it again.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 30, 2024 at 01:47pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2024, 10:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Touched ...

Quote:
Interesting to note that the word "touched" first appeared in 1997-98, previous to this the word was "tapped".

Old Wed Jan 31, 2024, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Smaller Concentric Circle ...

Quote:
... the gym yesterday had an "ancient times" smaller concentric circle inside the jump ball circle ... now irrelevant and is no longer required, considered, or used by the current rules. I believe that the old rule was that a jumper must have one foot inside that smaller concentric circle, but I forgot how long he was required to keep it there, maybe until after the toss?
My books only go back to 1996-97, and the smaller concentric circle inside the jump ball circle wasn't in the 1996-97 rulebook.

Anybody accurately remember exactly why they were there, and when they disappeared?

How about it Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

Old Thu Feb 01, 2024, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smite All Jump Balls ...

Quote:
The jump ball is a forgettable anachronistic formality, a microburst of mayhem, as outdated as two-hand set shots, laced basketballs, peach baskets, and chicken wire cages around the perimeter of the court.
I hate jump balls!

The jump ball is archaic, some jump ball rules are poorly understood and/or poorly enforced, and we should start games with some other method.

It's the twentieth-first century. We now have alternating possession arrows.

The alternating possession arrow was created for a good reason, so let's get rid of all jump balls, give the ball to the visitors, or flip a coin, to start the game, and use the possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtimes.

God created the alternating possession arrow for a reason, to smite all jump balls.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 01, 2024 at 02:51pm.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2024, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

If AP is the best thing since sliced bread, why does the NBA keep the jump ball for all situations?

A jump.ball is actually a contest of athletic skill where the players, not some arbitrary gizmo, determines who gets the next possession.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2024, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
If AP is the best thing since sliced bread, why does the NBA keep the jump ball for all situations?
David Stern prefers rolls to sliced bread?

Steph Curry has a gluten allergy?

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Feb 02, 2024 at 03:59pm.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2024, 02:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sandlot Baseball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... some arbitrary gizmo ...
Anybody remember this?

Old Sat Feb 03, 2024, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anybody remember this?
I do not recall seeing that picture before.