Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Regarding the new throw-in rules, NFHS will need to clarify whether or not the ball moves to one of the four spots if a timeout is called by either team following the ball going out of bounds.
2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt when the ball is deflected out of bounds by Team B. The ball exits the court along the end line close to the right sideline. Team A is granted an inbounds at the location where the ball exited the court. While Team A is trying to inbounds the ball, Team A calls a time-out. After the time-out, the inbounds spot (a) returns to the same spot; (b) moves to the designated spot 3 feet outside of the lane along the end line. RULING: (a) Correct procedure; (b) Incorrect procedure. COMMENT: Since the ball was not on the court, the time-out did not create a “stoppage in play” that would move the inbounds spot to one of the four designated spots. Play will continue from the inbounds spot established by the deflection of the ball by Team B. (7-5-2, 7-5-3a)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out The Sequel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 1: Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt when the ball is deflected out of bounds by Team B. The ball exits the court along the end line close to the right sideline. Team A is granted an inbounds at the location where the ball exited the court. While Team A is trying to inbounds the ball, Team A calls a time-out. After the time-out, the inbounds spot (a) returns to the same spot; (b) moves to the designated spot 3 feet outside of the lane along the end line. RULING: (a) Correct procedure; (b) Incorrect procedure. COMMENT: Since the ball was not on the court, the time-out did not create a “stoppage in play” that would move the inbounds spot to one of the four designated spots. Play will continue from the inbounds spot established by the deflection of the ball by Team B. (7-5-2, 7-5-3a)
What if Team A requests and is granted a timeout immediately after the out of bounds violation, before the throwin begins?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if Team A requests and is granted a timeout immediately after the out of bounds violation, before the throwin begins?
What caused the throw-in? The OOB violation. Leave the ball at the OOB spot.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 02:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's So Simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What caused the throw-in? The OOB violation. Leave the ball at the OOB spot.
Yeah, thanks bob, I (as usual) over thought the play.

Are there any plays where a time out after a whistle (not simply just a time request alone) would change the inbounds spot from before the timeout to after the timeout?

I don't believe so.

The inbound spot would always be based on what caused the original whistle.

Offensive time out request alone whistle? Four new spots.

Defensive out of bounds whistle? Closest spot.

Defensive out of bounds whistle followed by a timeout request? Closest spot.

Defensive common foul no bonus whistle followed by a timeout request? Four new spots.

Inadvertent whistle? Four new spots.

Inadvertent whistle followed by a timeout request? Four new spots.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 16, 2023 at 06:25pm.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2023, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are there any plays where a time out after a whistle (not simply just a time request alone) would change the inbounds spot from before the timeout to after the timeout?
Excessive TO.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2023, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Full Understanding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Excessive TO.
I like the way you think.

Considering extreme situations is a great method of fully understanding rule language.