The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #136 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 22,952
Time Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Regarding the new throw-in rules, NFHS will need to clarify whether or not the ball moves to one of the four spots if a timeout is called by either team following the ball going out of bounds.
2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt when the ball is deflected out of bounds by Team B. The ball exits the court along the end line close to the right sideline. Team A is granted an inbounds at the location where the ball exited the court. While Team A is trying to inbounds the ball, Team A calls a time-out. After the time-out, the inbounds spot (a) returns to the same spot; (b) moves to the designated spot 3 feet outside of the lane along the end line. RULING: (a) Correct procedure; (b) Incorrect procedure. COMMENT: Since the ball was not on the court, the time-out did not create a “stoppage in play” that would move the inbounds spot to one of the four designated spots. Play will continue from the inbounds spot established by the deflection of the ball by Team B. (7-5-2, 7-5-3a)

__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #137 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 22,952
Time Out The Sequel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 1: Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt when the ball is deflected out of bounds by Team B. The ball exits the court along the end line close to the right sideline. Team A is granted an inbounds at the location where the ball exited the court. While Team A is trying to inbounds the ball, Team A calls a time-out. After the time-out, the inbounds spot (a) returns to the same spot; (b) moves to the designated spot 3 feet outside of the lane along the end line. RULING: (a) Correct procedure; (b) Incorrect procedure. COMMENT: Since the ball was not on the court, the time-out did not create a “stoppage in play” that would move the inbounds spot to one of the four designated spots. Play will continue from the inbounds spot established by the deflection of the ball by Team B. (7-5-2, 7-5-3a)
What if Team A requests and is granted a timeout immediately after the out of bounds violation, before the throwin begins?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #138 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What if Team A requests and is granted a timeout immediately after the out of bounds violation, before the throwin begins?
What caused the throw-in? The OOB violation. Leave the ball at the OOB spot.
Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 02:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 22,952
It's So Simple ...



Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What caused the throw-in? The OOB violation. Leave the ball at the OOB spot.
Yeah, thanks bob, I (as usual) over thought the play.

Are there any plays where a time out after a whistle (not simply just a time request alone) would change the inbounds spot from before the timeout to after the timeout?

I don't believe so.

The inbound spot would always be based on what caused the original whistle.

Offensive time out request alone whistle? Four new spots.

Defensive out of bounds whistle? Closest spot.

Defensive out of bounds whistle followed by a timeout request? Closest spot.

Defensive common foul no bonus whistle followed by a timeout request? Four new spots.

Inadvertent whistle? Four new spots.

Inadvertent whistle followed by a timeout request? Four new spots.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 16, 2023 at 06:25pm.
Reply With Quote
  #140 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 17, 2023, 09:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Are there any plays where a time out after a whistle (not simply just a time request alone) would change the inbounds spot from before the timeout to after the timeout?
Excessive TO.
Reply With Quote
  #141 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 17, 2023, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 22,952
Full Understanding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Excessive TO.
I like the way you think.

Considering extreme situations is a great method of fully understanding rule language.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCAA Purposed changes (2023-2024) JRutledge Basketball 18 Mon May 08, 2023 07:22pm
2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire BillyMac Basketball 17 Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:58pm
NFHS new rules 2023-2024 Scrapper1 Volleyball 1 Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08am
Spring 2023 NFHS Softball Rules Changes. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Softball 5 Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:36am
NCAA rules changes announced Scrapper1 Basketball 25 Tue May 31, 2011 09:54pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1