The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 05, 2023, 12:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA Purposed changes (2023-2024)

Men's Purposed Changes Listed

Changes to the block-charge timing were the big one. But to me just moved the can down the road because you still have to decide if the line is met at a certain point. Makes the play IMO harder.

The other changes I am not totally in love with like like all numbers being used from 0-99.

I do not see what they mean by if the ball hits the rim the offense gets a new 20 if they retain the ball. Is that not already the case?

Not sure I am in love with nonstudent people being said to be peacemakers. That could be confusing if it is not a coach, but again I guess we never know who is an actual coach or trainer sometimes.

The timeout situation never was much of an issue. Never felt they should have changed that in the first place.

The Flagrant foul thing is not really much of an issue IMO. I think I have called at most 2 on a player (even in a high school game) on the same player. And if it they do something and puts them on notice, the next one is easier to call. But OK, if they feel they need this change.

But all of this is in a rules change year. So they had to do something.

Peace
Old Fri May 05, 2023, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You ...

Thanks JRutledge.

While I'm strictly a high school official, I do have a curious, passing interest in NCAA rules, especially when they may impact high school coaches confusing NCAA rules with dissimilar NHHS rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Here is the link to the women's proposal:
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/5/5/m...g-penalty.aspx

Somewhat surprised I didn't see anything on different rules for different divisions -- there was significant discussion on this. Maybe that comes in the next step.
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Are NCAA refs having a hard time with adjudicating block /charge actions?
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
As I read the changes, I think they are saying the officials (generally) correctly ruled "charge" on plays, but the stakeholders didn't want so many charges -- they wanted more blocks. So, make the defender get set earlier.
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
As Bob said, it's about what coaches want. Block/charge plays are really not that difficult to officiate. Coaches simply want more blocks called.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Men's Purposed Changes Listed

I do not see what they mean by if the ball hits the rim the offense gets a new 20 if they retain the ball. Is that not already the case?

Peace
Asking, current rule? When offense retains the ball in the backcourt (reset to 30) v frontcourt(reset to 20) New rule = 20 seconds no matter what.
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

The current NCAA-M rule only resets the shot clock to 20 on a try that hits the rim. Now any ball that hits the rim (i.e. an errant pass) and stays with the offense will cause a reset to 20. Really stupid that the offense can get a new 20 if they throw a bad alley-oop late in the shot clock, but oh well…

The block/charge thing is stupid. All because Bilas and John Adams have been running their mouths about too many player control fouls. Speaking of which, why doesn’t NCAA-M get on board and just call PC and TC fouls “offensive fouls”?

Saw the women’s changes coming after the NCG, particularly the Class A/B technicals after the Clark T.
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No. There are people in the game that do not understand the rule. And all this did was go back to something that was earlier when they use to consider the "upward motion" which caused an issue then too. Honestly, this is going to create more inconsistency and debates over what took place.

Peace
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
As Bob said, it's about what coaches want. Block/charge plays are really not that difficult to officiate. Coaches simply want more blocks called.
Then they will complain when they get blocks that should not be blocked. Because that timing is not really going to change the reality that players set up and waiting on the ball handler and getting run over.

Peace
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Degree Of Difficulty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Block/charge plays are really not that difficult to officiate.
In my high school games, I agree, just concentrate on the feet of the defender.

It may not always be easy for me, but it's not my most difficult call.

Many of my high school colleagues say that block/charge plays are the most difficult for them.

While that may be true for those individuals, for me, travels are the most difficult calls.

Travels at the start of a dribble are easy for me, it's the travels at the end of a dribble before a try that are the most difficult for me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 06, 2023 at 03:44pm.
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The current NCAA-M rule only resets the shot clock to 20 on a try that hits the rim. Now any ball that hits the rim (i.e. an errant pass) and stays with the offense will cause a reset to 20. Really stupid that the offense can get a new 20 if they throw a bad alley-oop late in the shot clock, but oh well…
But with the "purposed" change, you wouldn't have to rule on whether it was a try. And it's not like the last team to control the ball gains an advantage by its having hit the rim; that pretty well randomizes the rebound, so why have time on the shot clock continue? If they can work passes off the rim, that's a great skill that should be rewarded!
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
But with the "purposed" change…
That’s funny!
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 04:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Asking, current rule? When offense retains the ball in the backcourt (reset to 30) v frontcourt(reset to 20) New rule = 20 seconds no matter what.
The article says that if the offense retains the ball in the FC. So not sure the BC would be any different. I am just trying to figure out that when we get the ball in the FC it is not set to 20 after the ball hits the rim. The only situation I can think of is if the defense gets the ball first and then there is a quick steal.

This one will have to be explained.

Peace
Old Sat May 06, 2023, 08:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The article says that if the offense retains the ball in the FC. So not sure the BC would be any different. I am just trying to figure out that when we get the ball in the FC it is not set to 20 after the ball hits the rim. The only situation I can think of is if the defense gets the ball first and then there is a quick steal.

This one will have to be explained.

Peace
Unless they're talking about passes or tipped balls that hit the rim.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk