The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2023, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Annual Dues ...

Several years ago, our state interscholastic sports governing body (CIAC) made all Connecticut basketball officials (Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state) join the CIAC, at an annual cost of $13 per official, a cost “folded” into our annual local/state/international IAABO dues.

What did we get in return? A seat at the CIAC table, which turned out to be a good thing as the officials arm of CIAC successfully lobbied the state legislature to exclude game officials from any state laws regarding concussions, including no mandatory concussion training for officials. We also got free admission to all regular season sports events, and to all state tournament basketball games.

At the time, there were a lot of complaints about increased dues from our members.

Now, beginning in 2023-24, the CIAC is making all basketball officials (basketball was the last holdout) join the NFHS at an annual cost of $17 per official, a cost also “folded” into our annual local/state/international IAABO dues.

Keep in mind that IAABO used to annually provide all members with NFHS rulebooks and NFHS casebooks, a practice that stopped this year when IAABO published their own "rules guide", while still strongly suggesting that members purchase their own NFHS rulebooks and NFHS casebooks directly from the NFHS.

What are we getting in return? To make this more palatable, next year the CIAC will increase the subvarsity (junior varsity, freshmen, middle school) game fee from 65% of a varsity fee (as it’s been for decades) to 70% of a varsity fee (on top of an annual cost of living increase equal to the average increase in teacher pay statewide that we’ve been getting for decades).

I’m sure that there were a lot of complaints from our members as they fully become aware of this change in the spring when we pay our increased annual dues.

Note: Last year our annual local/state/international IAABO dues (including CIAC membership) were $125 (tied for highest ever in forty-plus years) per member, plus a 7% assignment fee. Game fees for 2022-23 are: Varsity Fee: $103.41; Subvarsity (junior varsity, freshmen, middle school) Fee: $67.11.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 25, 2023 at 05:04pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2023, 12:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Membership Privileges ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... beginning in 2023-24, the CIAC is making all basketball officials ... join the NFHS at an annual cost of $17 per official, a cost also “folded” into our annual local/state/international IAABO dues ... What are we getting in return? ...
What privileges can I expect to get from the NFHS after joining the NFHS through my state interscholastic sports governing body?

I'm hoping for free online access to a searchable NFHS rulebbok and a searchable NFHS casebook.

Does the NFHS offer free "Taco Tuesdays"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 25, 2023, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What privileges can I expect to get from the NFHS after joining the NFHS through my state interscholastic sports governing body?

I'm hoping for free online access to a searchable NFHS rulebbok and a searchable NFHS casebook.

Does the NFHS offer free "Taco Tuesdays"?
It seems to me that OhioHSAA officials get a physical copy of the rules and case books and the bi-annual officials manual for the sport as well as additional insurance benefits from this relationship with the NFHS.

Still costs me $6.95/year/book for access to electronic rule and case books on the NFHS app.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2023, 05:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheaper By The Dozen (1950 Film) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
It seems to me that OhioHSAA officials get a physical copy of the rules and case books and the bi-annual officials manual for the sport as well as additional insurance benefits from this relationship with the NFHS. Still costs me $6.95/year/book for access to electronic rule and case books on the NFHS app.
Thanks.

Odd? One would think that it would be far cheaper for the NFHS to make rulebooks and casebooks available to members for free online rather than free physical rulebooks and free physical casebooks that have to be both printed and snail-mailed.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 25, 2023 at 05:21pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2023, 11:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks.

Odd? One would think that it would be far cheaper for the NFHS to make rulebooks and casebooks available to members for free online rather than free physical rulebooks and free physical casebooks that have to be both printed and snail-mailed.
I'm thinking part of the registration fee to the state pays for the hard copy of the books. And then the NFHS makes money off selling electronic copies.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 26, 2023, 02:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Joining the NFHS Officials Association gives me all the online rules and case books for all the sports I work. The cost is worthwhile for me.