The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Too Early (Vol 2) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105900-too-early-vol-2-a.html)

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 15, 2023 01:50pm

Too Early (Vol 2)

When the coaching staff is more focused on being fans than controlling the bench, this is what happens.

https://www.outkick.com/norfolk-stat...ebration-loss/

Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Sun Jan 15, 2023 04:14pm

Welp, there was no dispute over the end of the game, not in college.

Peace

SC Official Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:13pm

Not a single official on this crew stepped up to make sure only one free throw was shot??

Bad.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:58pm

I didn’t realize that was only a Class B. Wow, what a colossal rule kick.

SC Official Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:11am

Rule 10-4

Art. 2. A technical foul shall be assessed to a coach and/or all bench personnel for the following infractions:

h. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as bench personnel entering the playing court before player activity has been terminated. In such a case, when the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored;

PENALTY—Article 1 and Article 2.a through i. One free throw shall be awarded to any member of the offended team.

FlasherZ Mon Jan 16, 2023 03:24pm

Reading the rule book, it seems like 10-4-2-h is perfectly tailored here and would be the most applicable which would be a kicked call...

I don't know enough about NCAA rules or interpretations, but is it possible they called too many players on the court (10-2-6) instead?

SC Official Mon Jan 16, 2023 04:39pm

Bench personnel are not players by definition. So while the crew may have used that rule to justify shooting two FTs instead of one, they would still be massively incorrect notwithstanding the fact that a rule exists to cover this exact situation.

Multiple Sports Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:21am

This play was addressed today by the NCAA rules interpreter in the latest bulletin. If you are on Ref Quest you can see what the rule reference is for this situation.

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:48pm

From this morning's aforementioned NCAA memo:

Celebrations – A.R. 311 addresses bench personnel (players) and/or team followers running onto the floor before time expires to celebrate a potential game winning shot and preventing the ball from being made live or preventing continuous play. In this situation, A.R. 311 and Rule 10-4.2.h supersede Rule 10.4.1.m. If a player(s) run onto the floor before time expires and delay the game as stated above, the team should be assessed with a Class B technical foul that is also charged to the head coach. If it’s just team followers running onto the floor and delaying play then it is an Administrative technical foul. Note, in situations when the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.

Coach Bill Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049868)

Celebrations – A.R. 311 addresses bench personnel (players) and/or team followers running onto the floor before time expires to celebrate a potential game winning shot and preventing the ball from being made live or preventing continuous play. In this situation, A.R. 311 and Rule 10-4.2.h supersede Rule 10.4.1.m. If a player(s) run onto the floor before time expires and delay the game as stated above, the team should be assessed with a Class B technical foul that is also charged to the head coach. If it’s just team followers running onto the floor and delaying play then it is an Administrative technical foul. Note, in situations when the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.

What if both happen? If the players AND the fans run on the court, do you assess a Class B for the players and an Administrative for the fans? That would explain the two free throws instead of just one.

crosscountry55 Thu Jan 19, 2023 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 1049889)
What if both happen? If the players AND the fans run on the court, do you assess a Class B for the players and an Administrative for the fans? That would explain the two free throws instead of just one.

Well in the subject play, I saw no fans impeding.

But in your hypothetical, I’d say it would be a judgment as to who was doing the impeding at the point play was impeded. So if in your judgment the bench personnel came out first, followed by fans but after the bench personnel had already impeded, then it’s Class B and ignore the fans’ action.

Almost like a free throw violation where the defender in the lane space induces the offensive player next to them to violate. We hold the inducer accountable.

Raymond Thu Jan 19, 2023 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049868)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 1049889)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1049890)
Well in the subject play, I saw no fans impeding.

But in your hypothetical, I’d say it would be a judgment as to who was doing the impeding at the point play was impeded. So if in your judgment the bench personnel came out first, followed by fans but after the bench personnel had already impeded, then it’s Class B and ignore the fans’ action.

Almost like a free throw violation where the defender in the lane space induces the offensive player next to them to violate. We hold the inducer accountable.

Agreed. And based on other rulings since I became a college official, I believe the NCAA intends for like acts that happen at the same time to be penalized collectively. I also look at the word "just" in the bolded portion of the NCAA bullentin. It is used to differentiate whether it's a Class B charged to the coach or an Administrative charged to the team only.