The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Way Riegels ...

I recently screwed up the answer to this situation (b) (below), thinking, incorrectly, that points scored in an opponents basket count for the opponent.

2.10.4 Situation B: The officials erroneously permit A1 to shoot technical foul free throws at Team B’s basket; A1 makes both free throws. When the error is discovered, the time frame for the correctable error (a) has not passed; or (b) has passed. Ruling: In (a), cancel the successful free throws by A1 and administer the free throws again at the correct basket. In (b), the free throws by A1 shall not be canceled and count toward Team A’s point total.

Are these (below) the correct citations for the ruling? Because the "wrong" basket was at the direction of the officials?

4-5-4: If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed must count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play must resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

5.2.1 Situation F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent’s basket. Ruling: All points scored count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket. (4-5-4)

However, in the case of a "wrong" basket due to a player's (not official's) confusion, points scored in an opponents basket count for the opponent, with this (below) as a ruling citation.

5.2.3 Situation: A1 completes the throw-in to A2 to begin the second half. A2 is confused and dribbles toward the basket Team A used during the first half and dunks the ball into the basket of Team B. Ruling: Legal goal. Two points are awarded to Team B. The ball is bounced to a player of Team A out of bounds at the basket of Team B. Team A may put the ball in play from anywhere along the end line as after any score by B (earned or awarded). (5-2-1; 7-5-7)

Just need some confirmation. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 28, 2022 at 12:59pm.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Most Embarrassing Thing An Official Could Ever Do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I recently screwed up the answer to this situation (b) (below), thinking, incorrectly, that points scored in an opponents basket count for the opponent.
I know why I got this wrong. Over forty-plus years I've been told by interpreters/trainers that officials should get together to discuss things after all technical fouls, including, but not limited to, discussing where the free throws will be shot, because the "most embarrassing thing an official could ever do would be to shoot technical foul free throws at the wrong basket".

So I always figured that the points would go to other team (if not corrected in time). Now that would be really embarrassing. But they don't count for the other team (2.10.4 Situation B), so while it's still embarrassing, it would be much more embarrassing if the points went to other team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 28, 2022 at 12:52pm.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 01:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know why I got this wrong. Over forty-plus years I've been told by interpreters/trainers that officials should get together to discuss things after all technical fouls, including, but not limited to, discussing where the free throws will be shot, because the "most embarrassing thing an official could ever do would be to shoot technical foul free throws at the wrong basket".

So I always figured that the points would go to other team (if not corrected in time). Now that would be really embarrassing. But they don't count for the other team (2.10.4 Situation B), so while it's still embarrassing, it would be much more embarrassing if the points went to other team.
It's more embarrassing you actually thought free throws shot at the wrong basket were awarded to the opponent.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 02:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Embarrassing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's more embarrassing you actually thought free throws shot at the wrong basket were awarded to the opponent.
Nice.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 04:38pm
Administrator

More embarrassing? HOLD MY BEER!!

Quote:
Nice.

I remember like it was yesterday:

Date: Saturday, March 19, 2005

Tournament: Ohio Special Olympics Basketball State Finals

Game Site: Kent State University-Tuscarawas County Campus, New Philadelphia, Ohio

Game: School Age Division II Championship Game

Partners: Daryl Long (U1) and Mark Smith (U2)

I lined the Jumpers in the incorrect positions and tossed the Ball to start the game. I did not realize MY mistake. The Player who had recovered the Ball after the Jump Ball had Ended started to advance the Ball toward the wrong Basket, . Thank goodness Daryl caught MY mistake and stopped the game, from there we got the Teams going the correct direction.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Got A System ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I lined the Jumpers in the incorrect positions and tossed the Ball to start the game.
I avoid this by having a system only an obsessive compulsive official could appreciate.

Point to one jumper. State color. Point to same side bench. State same color. Point opposite direction as bench. State same color. "White. White, White".

Point to the other jumper. State color. Point to same side bench. State same color. Point opposite direction as bench. State same color. "Blue. Blue. Blue".

It doesn't work for overtime. Maybe that's what the officials didn't realize in the UCONN men's NCAA overtime game a few years ago?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 29, 2022 at 10:40am.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

That is why at every jump ball I conduct, I point out the directions before I bounce the ball, and only after I have pointed and bounced (and caught) the ball do I then toss the ball.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 08:23am
Courageous When Prudent

I simply pay attention that each team is pointed in the correct direction.

I eliminated color and pointing from my jump balls a long time ago.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Embarrassing ...

Quote:
Something that these guys (below) obviously didn't do.

Quote:
Maybe that's what the officials didn't realize in the UCONN men's NCAA overtime game a few years ago?
Now that's embarrassing. NCAA tournament game on television!

I may do other embarrassing things on the court, but this, knock on wood, ain't one of them.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 09, 2022 at 11:29am.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2022, 11:42am
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:

I thought I was the only one
Old Mon Oct 03, 2022, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
I thought I was the only one
I stopped doing this several years ago. Did not like how it looked on film.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 03, 2022, 02:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dorky Looking ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I stopped doing this several years ago. Did not like how it looked on film.
Yeah, agree, it is kind of "dorky" looking.

But I still do it.

90% of my games are middle school games, and one never knows what odd things middle school kids will do.

At the beginning of the season I often have to tell the players what basket to warm up at. Middle school coaches usually don't have a clue.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 03, 2022 at 04:30pm.