Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2022, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Without Officials It's Just Recess ...

https://news.yahoo.com/column-amid-i...180538937.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...ire/ar-AAWc8FC

Partly due to COVID, but more so due to low numbers (325 local members a few years ago, 270 local members this past season), our assigner had to ask many schools to reschedule games to dates when there were more available officials, including two school systems (half dozen middle schools each) that had to postpone their entire middle school seasons to start in late February.

We had a lot (a lot more than "normal") of guys work freshman/junior varsity doubleheaders, and guys working freshman/junior varsity/varsity tripleheaders, previously unheard of around these parts.

Connecticut is one of many states trying to legislate special criminal penalties for verbal or physical attacks against officials, but it's a low priority for our State Legislature.

And we're well paid here in Connecticut: Varsity Fee: $101.69; Sub Varsity Fee: $65.99 (Junior Varsity, Freshman, Middle Schools).

For the first time ever, and its been over forty years, I worked more interscholastic games this past season than I really wanted to. I never ever imagined that I would say that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 23, 2022 at 01:34pm.