MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 02, 2022, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Recession ...

Is there a way to get past the pay wall of this article?

We've been losing members since our membership spiked during the collapse of the housing bubble in 2007 and 2008 causing the Great Recession that sent the unemployment rate up to 10%, more than double its pre-crisis rate. Guys needed officiating money to pay their mortgage, rent, car payments, groceries, insurance, utility, and other bills. It wasn't just about golf money, beer money, or poker night money any more.

As employment improved in later years, our membership suffered. Complaining players, coaches, and fans, with their verbal and physical assaults, and, of course, COVID, didn't help matters.

I hope that it improves locally next year. I'm getting too old, my arthritis is getting too severe, and I really don't need the money, for me to work five or six times a week. But if I'm needed, I'm needed, and I'll suck it up and heed the call once again. My local board has stood by and backed me for over forty years, I'll do the same for them to the best of my ability.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 02, 2022 at 05:20pm.
Old Mon May 02, 2022, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

The NY Times had an article a week or so ago about the growing ref shortage nd the impact of abuse on refs returning
Old Tue May 03, 2022, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

This just in: the first local cancellation for no officials--a middle school lacrosse game.
Old Tue May 03, 2022, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nine To Five (Dolly Parton, 1980) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
This just in: the first local cancellation for no officials--a middle school lacrosse game.
Tough to find officials who are available at 3:30 in the afternoon, even without COVID, for any sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... our assigner had to ask many schools to reschedule games to dates when there were more available officials, including two school systems (half dozen middle schools each) that had to postpone their entire middle school seasons to start in late February.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... my local board had to politely refuse to assign middle school officials in two major city school systems due to our lack of available afternoon officials, so these two cites postponed their middle school games until later in the season ...
Several years ago, not being able to get high school lacrosse (considered a "niche" sport in Connecticut) officials to work scrimmages was the impetuous for our state interscholastic sports governing body to mandate paid scrimmages for all high school sports.

Field hockey (another "niche" sport) was also problematic in Connecticut, and also had something to do with the paid scrimmage mandate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 04, 2022 at 02:34pm.