The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2022, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Kim Mulkey at it again

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/33425041

She’s lucky that her air punch didn’t hit the official.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2022, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

This gives more context

Peace
Old Sun Mar 06, 2022, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am actually surprised she was not run. That kind of reaction, she should been run. Tried of women's officials allowing this crap that you never see by any other coach at any other level without getting run. They act like they are scared of her.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I wonder what happened with the collision in the lane at about the same time the whistle blew for the T. I thought that might be what the video review was for.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 09:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I wonder what happened with the collision in the lane at about the same time the whistle blew for the T. I thought that might be what the video review was for.
That's what I was pondering on a Facebook thread.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am actually surprised she was not run. That kind of reaction, she should been run. Tried of women's officials allowing this crap that you never see by any other coach at any other level without getting run. They act like they are scared of her.

Peace
I've seen men's and HS officials (and I am one of them) let more misbehavior slide without a second T than what Mulkey demonstrated here.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Also, the play that got her riled up is a foul IMO. The shooter may kick the leg but the defender goes A to B and knocks her to the ground, rendering any leg kick irrelevant. In a 12-point game with 1:36 left I think I'm giving that call to the losing team.

Maybe with the benefit of another camera angle I'd change my opinion, but that's just my thought. And it doesn't in any way justify Mulkey's histrionics.

She seems to have one of these episodes in the postseason every few years. Maybe that's why she wasn't wearing a coat this time.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Many Questions ...

Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Are the LSU coaches dressed for a basketball game, or for going to a club?

At least they're better dressed than the "track suits" that some of our high school coaches wear.

Look like the same outfits that they probably wear to practice.

Maybe they just want to be prepared to physically demonstrate to their players how to box out and rebound during a timeout or intermission?

Nice to hear the "Chicken Dance".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 07, 2022 at 11:50am.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've seen men's and HS officials (and I am one of them) let more misbehavior slide without a second T than what Mulkey demonstrated here.
Well, the coach from the Cavs got run the other week and did a lot less. Just yelled for the most part.

The UConn coach got run for waving his arms at the crowd after the first one.

Calipari got run by Doug Surmonn at South Carolina and all he did was keep coming down to the table at him and was swiftly ejected.

Mulkey followed the official onto the floor after she air punched at the official within 7 or 8 feet of him. He gave a T properly but she did not leave and still was there.

Now I am not saying that others have not gotten away with things, but I have seen this year officials just yell across the court and they did not stay or gestured as Hurley did at UConn.

Obviously, those at HS are different. And I was in a game wherein the playoffs we should have run one of the coaches that followed my partner to the end line, but he gave him one T, and the best person to give the second one was our other partner and he hardly tried to get the coach back. So I agree and understand we all let things go based on the situation, but just surprised this was not an ejection that would have been supported I can only imagine. The only reason it did not appear to happen was the female official clearly said something that stopped Mulkey in her tracks. And if you notice she said nothing after that offiical checked her. She probably was told something that the mask benefited the interaction. I know this past year I was saying things I would have never said because of having a mask on.

Again, just surprised what she did, she was allowed to stay. Maybe they did not want to trouble trouble with the game nearly over.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Are the LSU coaches dressed for a basketball game, or for going to a club?

At least they're better dressed than the "track suits" that some of our high school coaches wear.

Look like the same outfits that they probably wear to practice.

Maybe they just want to be prepared to physically demonstrate to their players how to box out and rebound during a timeout or intermission?

Nice to hear the "Chicken Dance".
Mulkey is the only one that is in a T-shirt. The others are dressed in professional attire that you would see any time before Covid. But now everyone is wearing sweats or sponsored gear that you used to never see in a actual game setting.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Also, the play that got her riled up is a foul IMO. The shooter may kick the leg but the defender goes A to B and knocks her to the ground, rendering any leg kick irrelevant. In a 12-point game with 1:36 left I think I'm giving that call to the losing team.

Maybe with the benefit of another camera angle I'd change my opinion, but that's just my thought. And it doesn't in any way justify Mulkey's histrionics.

She seems to have one of these episodes in the postseason every few years. Maybe that's why she wasn't wearing a coat this time.
Men's basketball addressed the leg kick issue. I cannot speak directly to the fact that the Women's Supervisor did the same. So again if ruled that way, I have no issues. Going A to B is one thing, but would we the defender have made contact if not for the unnatural kick out. If anything from the philosophy of the Men's side, this would be acceptable to call a PCF. Because if the defender goes down and would not have made contact with the shooter otherwise, that is what they had advocated. But the NCAA Men's spent an entire video on unnatural shooting motions and showed several plays where the shooter caused the contact or should be called if contact is made with the leg or other parts of the body. So are the Women's officials being emphasized the same thing? I have not seen all their Fast Break videos.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 12:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Way ...

Quote:
... this past year I was saying things I would have never said because of having a mask on ...
Agree.

I've also paid more attention to what I was saying from behind my mask the past two years.

Saying the same thing with a smile can mean something very different from saying it with an angry expression.

Of course, if the coach, or player, can't see your face, what one says could be taken the "wrong" way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 07, 2022 at 12:57pm.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Police ...

Quote:
Mulkey is the only one that is in a T-shirt. The others are dressed in professional attire ...
I have never been known for having any fashion sense, especially in regard to women's fashion.

Mulkey's "sparkly" top first got my attention, but it was also the "bright" outfit, makeup, and jewelry of her assistant coach.

I know that the days of high school coaches wearing jackets and ties are long gone, and I actually kind of like high school staffs all wearing casual (Dockers) pants, matching casual (Vans) sneakers, and matching school color polo shirts, with embroidered names, mascots, etc., but the "track suits" are way too casual in my opinion, looking like organized crime gangsters at their social club.

Before COVID, many of our young'un officials were showing up for games in sneakers, work boots, T-shirts, and jeans instead of "business causal" as recommended. Our executive committee was just about to tackle this issue when COVID hit.

Last two years, with COVID, we've recommended that officials come dressed in uniform, not being sure if dressing areas were going to be available, or not wanting officials crowded into small dressing areas.

Many of our officials, both young'uns, and veterans, have come to appreciate the convenience of dressing in uniform at home (or at one's day job), even if it means driving home in a sweaty uniform.

There may be no going back to "business casual", and I find myself on the fence in regard to this issue.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 08, 2022 at 03:01pm.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No More Excuses ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Many of our officials, both young'uns, and veterans, have come to appreciate the convenience of dressing in uniform at home (or at one's day job), even if it means driving home in a sweaty uniform. There may be no going back to "business casual", and I find myself on the fence in regard to this issue.
I really don't have a dog in this fight. 90% of my games are middle school games and middle schools in my area are known not to have private and secure dressing areas with showers, so we always come in uniform, with the blessing of our local board.

I do work a few freshman and junior varsity games, so the "no private and secure dressing areas with showers" excuse won't work for these high school games next year with COVID (hopefully) relegated to an endemic problem. Being the old fashioned, obedient sheep that I am, I will probably and reluctantly go back to "business casual" and packing a bag for these high school games.

Being the old fashioned guy that I am, I wear "business casual" (dress shirt, khaki pants, dress shoes) with a local board logo sweater when observe my friends in state tournament games. Athletic directors and coaches see me with the assigned officials at halftime and post-game, and I don't want them to see me in jeans, T-shirt, sneakers, etc. I'm so old fashioned that it's sometimes sickening. That's why I can't figure out why I would even entertain the idea of going to my high school games in uniform next year? Yet here I am considering it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 08, 2022 at 05:19pm.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2022, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why did we go from discussing a coach receiving a deserved technical foul in a women's college game to discussing officials' standards of attire? Oh well, BillyMac is being BillyMac again.