The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kim Mulkey at it again (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105672-kim-mulkey-again.html)

SC Official Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:55pm

Kim Mulkey at it again

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/33425041

She’s lucky that her air punch didn’t hit the official.

JRutledge Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:22pm

This gives more context

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/afDp8rfaHuQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

JRutledge Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:24pm

I am actually surprised she was not run. That kind of reaction, she should been run. Tried of women's officials allowing this crap that you never see by any other coach at any other level without getting run. They act like they are scared of her.

Peace

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2022 08:28am

I wonder what happened with the collision in the lane at about the same time the whistle blew for the T. I thought that might be what the video review was for.

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2022 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1047332)
I wonder what happened with the collision in the lane at about the same time the whistle blew for the T. I thought that might be what the video review was for.

That's what I was pondering on a Facebook thread.

SC Official Mon Mar 07, 2022 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047331)
I am actually surprised she was not run. That kind of reaction, she should been run. Tried of women's officials allowing this crap that you never see by any other coach at any other level without getting run. They act like they are scared of her.

Peace

I've seen men's and HS officials (and I am one of them) let more misbehavior slide without a second T than what Mulkey demonstrated here.

SC Official Mon Mar 07, 2022 09:44am

Also, the play that got her riled up is a foul IMO. The shooter may kick the leg but the defender goes A to B and knocks her to the ground, rendering any leg kick irrelevant. In a 12-point game with 1:36 left I think I'm giving that call to the losing team.

Maybe with the benefit of another camera angle I'd change my opinion, but that's just my thought. And it doesn't in any way justify Mulkey's histrionics.

She seems to have one of these episodes in the postseason every few years. Maybe that's why she wasn't wearing a coat this time.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:01am

Many Questions ...

Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Are the LSU coaches dressed for a basketball game, or for going to a club?

At least they're better dressed than the "track suits" that some of our high school coaches wear.

Look like the same outfits that they probably wear to practice.

Maybe they just want to be prepared to physically demonstrate to their players how to box out and rebound during a timeout or intermission?

Nice to hear the "Chicken Dance".

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1047335)
I've seen men's and HS officials (and I am one of them) let more misbehavior slide without a second T than what Mulkey demonstrated here.

Well, the coach from the Cavs got run the other week and did a lot less. Just yelled for the most part.

The UConn coach got run for waving his arms at the crowd after the first one.

Calipari got run by Doug Surmonn at South Carolina and all he did was keep coming down to the table at him and was swiftly ejected.

Mulkey followed the official onto the floor after she air punched at the official within 7 or 8 feet of him. He gave a T properly but she did not leave and still was there.

Now I am not saying that others have not gotten away with things, but I have seen this year officials just yell across the court and they did not stay or gestured as Hurley did at UConn.

Obviously, those at HS are different. And I was in a game wherein the playoffs we should have run one of the coaches that followed my partner to the end line, but he gave him one T, and the best person to give the second one was our other partner and he hardly tried to get the coach back. So I agree and understand we all let things go based on the situation, but just surprised this was not an ejection that would have been supported I can only imagine. The only reason it did not appear to happen was the female official clearly said something that stopped Mulkey in her tracks. And if you notice she said nothing after that offiical checked her. She probably was told something that the mask benefited the interaction. I know this past year I was saying things I would have never said because of having a mask on.

Again, just surprised what she did, she was allowed to stay. Maybe they did not want to trouble trouble with the game nearly over.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047343)
Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Are the LSU coaches dressed for a basketball game, or for going to a club?

At least they're better dressed than the "track suits" that some of our high school coaches wear.

Look like the same outfits that they probably wear to practice.

Maybe they just want to be prepared to physically demonstrate to their players how to box out and rebound during a timeout or intermission?

Nice to hear the "Chicken Dance".

Mulkey is the only one that is in a T-shirt. The others are dressed in professional attire that you would see any time before Covid. But now everyone is wearing sweats or sponsored gear that you used to never see in a actual game setting.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1047337)
Also, the play that got her riled up is a foul IMO. The shooter may kick the leg but the defender goes A to B and knocks her to the ground, rendering any leg kick irrelevant. In a 12-point game with 1:36 left I think I'm giving that call to the losing team.

Maybe with the benefit of another camera angle I'd change my opinion, but that's just my thought. And it doesn't in any way justify Mulkey's histrionics.

She seems to have one of these episodes in the postseason every few years. Maybe that's why she wasn't wearing a coat this time.

Men's basketball addressed the leg kick issue. I cannot speak directly to the fact that the Women's Supervisor did the same. So again if ruled that way, I have no issues. Going A to B is one thing, but would we the defender have made contact if not for the unnatural kick out. If anything from the philosophy of the Men's side, this would be acceptable to call a PCF. Because if the defender goes down and would not have made contact with the shooter otherwise, that is what they had advocated. But the NCAA Men's spent an entire video on unnatural shooting motions and showed several plays where the shooter caused the contact or should be called if contact is made with the leg or other parts of the body. So are the Women's officials being emphasized the same thing? I have not seen all their Fast Break videos.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:23pm

Wrong Way ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047344)
... this past year I was saying things I would have never said because of having a mask on ...

Agree.

I've also paid more attention to what I was saying from behind my mask the past two years.

Saying the same thing with a smile can mean something very different from saying it with an angry expression.

Of course, if the coach, or player, can't see your face, what one says could be taken the "wrong" way.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:50pm

Fashion Police ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047345)
Mulkey is the only one that is in a T-shirt. The others are dressed in professional attire ...

I have never been known for having any fashion sense, especially in regard to women's fashion.

Mulkey's "sparkly" top first got my attention, but it was also the "bright" outfit, makeup, and jewelry of her assistant coach.

I know that the days of high school coaches wearing jackets and ties are long gone, and I actually kind of like high school staffs all wearing casual (Dockers) pants, matching casual (Vans) sneakers, and matching school color polo shirts, with embroidered names, mascots, etc., but the "track suits" are way too casual in my opinion, looking like organized crime gangsters at their social club.

Before COVID, many of our young'un officials were showing up for games in sneakers, work boots, T-shirts, and jeans instead of "business causal" as recommended. Our executive committee was just about to tackle this issue when COVID hit.

Last two years, with COVID, we've recommended that officials come dressed in uniform, not being sure if dressing areas were going to be available, or not wanting officials crowded into small dressing areas.

Many of our officials, both young'uns, and veterans, have come to appreciate the convenience of dressing in uniform at home (or at one's day job), even if it means driving home in a sweaty uniform.

There may be no going back to "business casual", and I find myself on the fence in regard to this issue.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 01:24pm

No More Excuses ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047348)
Many of our officials, both young'uns, and veterans, have come to appreciate the convenience of dressing in uniform at home (or at one's day job), even if it means driving home in a sweaty uniform. There may be no going back to "business casual", and I find myself on the fence in regard to this issue.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. 90% of my games are middle school games and middle schools in my area are known not to have private and secure dressing areas with showers, so we always come in uniform, with the blessing of our local board.

I do work a few freshman and junior varsity games, so the "no private and secure dressing areas with showers" excuse won't work for these high school games next year with COVID (hopefully) relegated to an endemic problem. Being the old fashioned, obedient sheep that I am, I will probably and reluctantly go back to "business casual" and packing a bag for these high school games.

Being the old fashioned guy that I am, I wear "business casual" (dress shirt, khaki pants, dress shoes) with a local board logo sweater when observe my friends in state tournament games. Athletic directors and coaches see me with the assigned officials at halftime and post-game, and I don't want them to see me in jeans, T-shirt, sneakers, etc. I'm so old fashioned that it's sometimes sickening. That's why I can't figure out why I would even entertain the idea of going to my high school games in uniform next year? Yet here I am considering it.

ilyazhito Mon Mar 07, 2022 02:16pm

Why did we go from discussing a coach receiving a deserved technical foul in a women's college game to discussing officials' standards of attire? Oh well, BillyMac is being BillyMac again.