The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kim Mulkey at it again (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105672-kim-mulkey-again.html)

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 02:20pm

Lost In The Shuffle ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1047350)
Why did we go from discussing a coach receiving a deserved technical foul in a women's college game to discussing officials' standards of attire? Oh well, BillyMac is being BillyMac again.

I'm actually mad at myself because this (below) got lost in the shuffle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047343)
Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Discussion?

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047347)
Agree.

I've also paid more attention to what I was saying from behind my mask the past two years.

Saying the same thing with a smile can mean something very different from saying it with an angry expression.

Of course, if the coach, or player, can't see your face, what one says could be taken the "wrong" way.

I am not talking about saying something to not be seen as wrong. I mean saying things you would have never said because no one can see your facial expressions or hear you clearly. I would not be surprised if the officials cursed at Mulkey, because it would be harder to "prove."

Honestly, I have not really cared how they took it if it got the point across. I know that they would say things through their mask that would be seen differently if they did not have the mask on, and I said things back. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Peace

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2022 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047351)
I'm actually mad at myself because this (below) got lost in the shuffle.

Discussion?

I responded to that post. Go ahead put in your two cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:05pm

Clarity ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047352)
... no one can ...hear you clearly ...

Noticed a lot of our guys were pointing at the offender's bench while reporting a foul, something that we've been locally recommended not to do because some view it as an irritant. Those that do it have stated that it helps to clearly identity the offending team's color while wearing a mask.

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047355)
Noticed a lot of our guys were pointing at the offender's bench while reporting a foul, something that we've been locally recommended not to do because some view it as an irritant. Those that do it have stated that it helps to clearly identity the offending team's color while wearing a mask.

I am a little confused. What about reporting and pointing? Did that happen here?

I might point to the bench if I am saying I gave a technical foul on them. But not if I am calling a regular foul during the game on the floor.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:10pm

Can't Find It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047343)
Did the official stop a Kentucky fast break to charge the technical foul?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1047354)
I responded to that post.

I can't find it on the Forum, maybe on a different site, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Also, like Raymond and bob jenkins, I'm interested in discussing the dead ball collision in the lane.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:12pm

Mask Consequence ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047356)
I am a little confused. What about reporting and pointing?

Just another mask "consequence".

Altor Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:19pm

Perhaps I'm just an old fogey who thinks this kind of conduct needs to be removed from all levels, but I'm looking for a reason to run her on that very first action.

NCAA-W Rule 10-15-1,2,3

It doesn't matter that the hand/fist didn't connect. She needs disqualified for fighting.

Altor Mon Mar 07, 2022 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047357)
Also, like Raymond and bob jenkins, I'm interested in discussing the dead ball collision in the lane.

White defender in the lane attempts to set a screen on black 44, perhaps in an attempt to draw a team control foul. If play was still live, make your judgment regarding block/charge/no call, but I feel like she's still moving toward the opponent at the time of contact. Since the ball is dead due to the TF, this is nothing.

BillyMac Mon Mar 07, 2022 07:02pm

Nothing Unless ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1047360)
Since the ball is dead due to the TF, this is nothing ...

... unless (high school rules) the illegal contact is intentional or flagrant.

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047363)
... unless (high school rules) the illegal contact is intentional or flagrant.

In regards to this play, it is neither of those, as Altor is pointing out.

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047357)
I can't find it on the Forum, maybe on a different site, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

I wasn't really concerned about who the foul was on. I was just wondering if they were reviewing it for the timing of that collision compared to the timing of the technical foul.

But that would only matter if an official blew their whistle for the collision.

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047358)
Just another mask "consequence".

I am still confused. What is the consequence of the mask?

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Mar 08, 2022 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1047365)
I wasn't really concerned about who the foul was on. I was just wondering if they were reviewing it for the timing of that collision compared to the timing of the technical foul.

But that would only matter if an official blew their whistle for the collision.

I was also wondering if they were checking whether blue's contact was intentional. Did Blue have time to avoid white and still chose to run into her? Did blue "launch" (probably too strong a word) at white? Both questions raised while first watching the video and, given apparent higher tensions, worth=y of a look. Neither official was watching that area when the contact happened.

CJP Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59am

She got the T that she deserved. I think the foul that escalated the behavior was missed. I guess I don't follow college basketball enough to say if there is a chronic problem with her behavior.

In high school ball, slighted aggression towards officials concerns me more than this "in your face" behavior (as long as it is addressed). At least the T was given in this case.