The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Point of Interruption--Throw-in Location (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105637-point-interruption-throw-location.html)

Raymond Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:23pm

Point of Interruption--Throw-in Location

I know at one time the NCAA-Men's rule said that if we had a double foul away from the from ball, the POI throw-in would be a designated spot nearest the location of the ball.

I know this because I had this debate in a D1 staff camp about a decade or so ago and I emailed the rule to my partners.

Now the case play (A.R. 270) says the location for the POI throw-in would be the spot nearest the foul.

Does anybody know when this changed?

Just verified in the high school rule book the location of the throw-in is a designated spot nearest where the ball was located.

I have sent an email to Art Hyland.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Feb 08, 2022 02:09am

Didn't know it changed or that it was never the place where the ball was located just like high school. Yeah, I would like to hear what Art has to say about that. I wonder if it is just an oversight.

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Feb 08, 2022 08:42am

It seems to be shown as a change in this year's role book:

Art. 8. After any double personal or technical fouls or any simultaneous personal or
technical fouls committed when there is team control and neither foul is a flagrant
foul, play shall resume with a throw-in from a designated spot nearest to where the
foul occurred
using the procedures in Rule 7-3.2.

thumpferee Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:15am

So what is it now, POF?:eek:

Raymond Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1046857)
So what is it now, POF?:eek:

Apparently. Noticed it yesterday when I was posting portions of the latest NCAA-Men's bulletin to my HS association FB page. I always make sure to note any conflicts with NFHS rules. I was totally surprised.

Raymond Tue Feb 08, 2022 08:54pm

Art Hyland has posted a correction.

"1. Paragraph 2 of the Bulletin – The “Ruling” in the Play Situation is incorrect. Replace with the following: Ruling – There shall be no free throws awarded. (Rule 7-3.1.i) Play shall resume with a throw-in by Team A at a designated spot nearest to the point of interruption. This ruling is based on the definition of “Point of Interruption”. The POI is determined by the location of the ball at the time of the interruption and the team in control. 2. Rules Book Corrections A. Rule 7-4.7 - Delete “nearest to where the foul occurred.” B. Rule 7-4.8 - Delete “nearest to where the foul occurred.” Since both Articles include the types of fouls that are covered in Rule 4-28.1 “Point of Interruption”, the resumption of play should be based on team control and the location of the ball at the time of interruption and not the location where the foul occurred. Thanks to all of you who took the time to point out these errors."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk