The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of quarter - "All related activity" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105632-end-quarter-all-related-activity.html)

BillyMac Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29am

Split Their Pants ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1046946)
My zipper then promptly broke and I had to ref the Varsity game with safety pins holding my fly closed ...

I always tell my trainees to wear black underpants (compression shorts) just in case they split their pants, and to pack a few safety pins in their bag. I always told them that I wouldn't bet my house that it would happen to them, but that I also wouldn't bet my house that it wouldn't happen to them.

Zoochy Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1046945)
Sorry to hear. HS officiating will be losing a quality ref.
I hope that you will continue to participate on the forum. I’ve always respected your views and opinions, even when you went by BNR.

Raymond, I echo the words from Nevadaref. Many refs can learn a lot from you.
Happy Trails

JRutledge Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1046943)
Final regular season high school game of my career, 19th season doing high school.

First time I've ever called a technical foul going into halftime (assistant coach mouthing off and cursing as I was going to the table)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are still doing some college or other levels. I get it, this can be a grind sometimes. But congrats on your high school career.

Peace

Raymond Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1046948)
Raymond, I echo the words from Nevadaref. Many refs can learn a lot from you.
Happy Trails

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1046949)
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are still doing some college or other levels. I get it, this can be a grind sometimes. But congrats on your high school career.

Peace

Thanks and thanks.

Nope, I'll be letting it all go. Still have 2 college games left this week. I have not been in very good physical condition this season, but I do have one supervisor who told me to be on standby for some post-season assignments.

BillyMac Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:13am

As A Very Esteemed Member ...

Quote:

I plan on staying connected with my association as a camp clinician and in-season observer.

... and, hopefully, continuing to post high quality high school comments and opinions on the Forum.

Quote:

Participating in this forum ... are a major reason I have a reputation as a rules guru in my association ...

Same for me, this Forum is a great resource.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1046950)
I have not been in very good physical condition this season ...

Same for me, severe arthritis in my right foot. Due to many inactive local officials (COVID), I'm very much in demand and have been working every weekday and almost all Saturdays, limping through the season doing all subvarsity (usually middle school) games. Thinking about having a few screws inserted in my foot, or giving up officiating completely, a thought that's never crossed my mind before.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.z...=0&w=171&h=171

billyu2 Wed Feb 16, 2022 07:59pm

Congratulations raymond

Raymond, count me among the many who have appreciated your contributions to The Forum!

Bill

ilyazhito Thu Feb 17, 2022 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1046950)
Thanks and thanks.

Nope, I'll be letting it all go. Still have 2 college games left this week. I have not been in very good physical condition this season, but I do have one supervisor who told me to be on standby for some post-season assignments.

Congratulations and good luck on your post-officiating life.

Johnny Ringo Sat Feb 26, 2022 01:13am

After a successful try, a technical foul is called on player for taunting at the same time the horn sounds signaling the end of the quarter.

When do we shoot FTs for the technical foul? Is the player now bench personnel?

bob jenkins Sat Feb 26, 2022 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 1047145)
After a successful try, a technical foul is called on player for taunting at the same time the horn sounds signaling the end of the quarter.

When do we shoot FTs for the technical foul? Is the player now bench personnel?

I'm not sure that's possible, by rule (extending the "a violation and a foul can't happen at the same time" ruling). Decide which happened first and adjudicate accordingly.

Johnny Ringo Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:44pm

It did. Official blew whistle and raised hand at same time as the horn/lights on backboard.

BillyMac Sat Feb 26, 2022 01:30pm

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 1047154)
Official blew whistle and raised hand at same time as the horn/lights on backboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1047150)
Decide which happened first and adjudicate accordingly.

... remembering that the taunting foul may not have come at the same time as the whistle, it probably occurred split seconds before the whistle.

BillyMac Sat Feb 26, 2022 01:38pm

Violation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1047150)
... "a violation and a foul can't happen at the same time" ...

Not sure that a game clock sounding to end a period can be considered a violation, but I understand the point.