Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 09:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With a Bunny Hop …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...0pE7gIYA%3D%3D

Is this a traveling violation? Did the shooter change his pivot foot, before attempting the try?

Two choices: This is a traveling violation. This is a legal play.

My comment: This is a traveling violation. Shooter White #14’s left foot was his pivot foot. He lifted it and returned it to the floor before releasing his try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

I doubt seriously I am calling that a violation as he is gathering the pass to control it. It can be technically a travel, but requires absolute knowledge of the player having control of the ball.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

It is hard to tell for sure (from this video) if the left foot actually broke contact with the floor on the "hop". It is also hard to tell for sure if the right foot was in contact with the floor or slightly off of it after the catch and before the hop.

If the left foot never broke contact with the floor, no travel regardless.

If the right foot was off the floor after the catch...the left foot was down when he caught the ball, right foot up. He jumps ever so slightly then lands on both feet at the same time....a legal jump stop.

If the right foot was on the floor after the catch AND the left foot came up...it would be a travel.

I'd say this is an awful video to split a hair on...I'm going with no call since I can't be certain with what the video shows.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do The Bunny Hop (Ray Anthony, 1952) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd say this is an awful video to split a hair on ...
Shouldn't Camron Rust have said "split a hare"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Big Giant Head (Third Rock From The Sun ) ...

Quote:
It is hard to tell for sure if the left foot actually broke contact with the floor on the "hop".
White #20's head was slightly in the way, but I can still (barely) see White #14’s left foot, his pivot foot, lift, move backward, and land before the release.

Real game, real time, if one isn't sure, don't guess, don't call it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 16, 2021 at 11:44am.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
White #20's head was slightly in the way, but I can still (barely) see White #14’s left foot, his pivot foot, lift, move backward, and land before the release.

Do you really? Could he possibly just have risen to his toes and set the rest back down in a slightly different orientation?
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pivot Toe ...

Quote:
Could he possibly just have risen to his toes and set the rest back down in a slightly different orientation?
Possibly? Yes.

It's not necessary to lift the pivot foot. He also possibly could have slid his pivot toe slightly backward (also a travel).

Quote:
Depending on what I actually see, I'm probably not making this travel call in a real game, in real time.

I made my ruling based on what was offered to me, a video that I could look at multiple times, slowing it down, an even stopping it.

Real game, real time, isn't the same. This move doesn't even get a rise out of the opposing coaches and players, who had a perfect look.

Does IAABO want us to "Make The Call" based on a single nearly realistic real game, real time video, as if we were actually officiating the game, or based on breaking down the video to test our rule language knowledge?

My guess, the later, since they offer multiple views at multiple speeds, something not assessable to an official in a bang bang real game situation.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 17, 2021 at 01:43pm.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2021, 09:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...0pE7gIYA%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a traveling violation.

White #14 comes off a screen to catch the ball and attempt a try. He appears to attempt a "jump stop" after catching the ball. When he catches the ball, he has both feet in contact with the floor. He then jumps off both feet and returns to the floor on both feet before releasing the ball on a try. This is a traveling violation.

Had the ball handler caught the ball on one foot, then jumped and landed on both feet, that would be a legal jump stop. (4-44-2.a.3)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a traveling violation 64% (including me). This is a legal play 36%.

Old Wed Sep 22, 2021, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Game interrupter.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2021, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Game interrupter.
Now, with every grandmother in the bleachers having a high definition cell phone video camera, the phrase, "game interrupter", while possibly still somewhat relevant, has become somewhat less fashionable than just a few years ago.

Old Wed Sep 22, 2021, 05:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Now, with every grandmother in the bleachers having a high definition cell phone video camera, the phrase "Game interrupter" has become somewhat less fashionable than just a few years ago.
I hear this comment quite often. Still used when you are calling a marginal or questionable act that stops the game. And even good quality video is often not good enough of an angle to decide what happened. It is very close and to me, if you do not call it no one is complaining. Especially when you are taking away a possession.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2021, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Still used when you are calling a marginal or questionable act that stops the game.
Agree.

"Game interrupter" is still relevant, but not to any degree close to what it used to be. I hear it less and less at meetings as the years have progressed. I actually can't remember the last time I heard the phrase.

Inbounder steps slightly (fraction of an inch) over a boundary, twenty point game, three minutes to go in the game.

Twenty-five years ago? Easy pass. No thought required. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.

Today? Possibly a violation.

Don't need another complaint on a coach's list (grasping at straws) if he chooses to call my assigner.

The much increased use of video over the past many years had definitely required officials to be held more accountable than in past ancient times.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 22, 2021 at 06:06pm.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2021, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I see the bunny hop occasionally, in boys games its a travel; however, in girls games its usually passed on.