The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS # 7

While alot of you are discussing your disagreement with interp. # 7-I personally don't like number 8.

SITUATION 8: At the completion of the first half, the head coaches of the competing teams request that the officials allow a continuous clock starting with the second half alternating-possession throw-in. RULING: This is not legal. The officials should deny the request. By rule, only the state association can establish a running clock. (5-5 Note)

--I understand why this one is there, and I guess I will follow it for V league games. But when I ref a non-league game I think I might ignore this rule if it comes up. Situation last year: Reffing 2 MS games. V team is much stronger that H. When I get to the gym AD says they want to speed the games up and squeeze in a third game between the Visiting team's MS A team and the home school's freshman team. But the visiting team can't stay too long because it is a school night so they want to do running clock for all the games-and later if things are going quick enough the 3rd game might be regular or running clock. Or it might even switch at halftime depending on how much time they have. AD says he will pay for 3 full games regardless of if they are running clock or not. Since both teams agreed I let them do whatever they want with the clock. I also got paid more than I expected.

In fact I might even ignore this one in a Varsity league game depending on the situation.- Traffic holds up the start of the game (As you might guess we get terrible traffic here in Tokyo)one team has a huge lead, it is late at night on a school night, both coaches and AD says they understand the rules but kids need to get home on time or parents/principal will complain. (And if I don't get home on time my wife will complain.)

What do you guys think of this interp? I think it was probably meant for bigger more important games than the ones I am reffing.

[Edited by oc on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 08:01 PM]
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: NFHS # 7

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
While alot of you are discussing your disagreement with interp. # 7-I personally don't like number 8.

SITUATION 8: At the completion of the first half, the head coaches of the competing teams request that the officials allow a continuous clock starting with the second half alternating-possession throw-in. RULING: This is not legal. The officials should deny the request. By rule, only the state association can establish a running clock. (5-5 Note)

--I understand why this one is there, and I guess I will follow it for V league games. But when I ref a non-league game I think I might ignore this rule if it comes up. Situation last year: Reffing 2 MS games. V team is much stronger that H. When I get to the gym AD says they want to speed the games up and squeeze in a third game between the Visiting team's MS A team and the home school's freshman team. But the visiting team can't stay too long because it is a school night so they want to do running clock for all the games-and later if things are going quick enough the 3rd game might be regular or running clock. Or it might even switch at halftime depending on how much time they have. AD says he will pay for 3 full games regardless of if they are running clock or not. Since both teams agreed I let them do whatever they want with the clock. I also got paid more than I expected.

I'm with you. Run that clock baby! (Just give me a full fee.)
Quote:

In fact I might even ignore this one in a Varsity league game depending on the situation.- Traffic holds up the start of the game (As you might guess we get terrible traffic here in Tokyo)

You're in Tokyo! What the hell are you doing in Tokyo? BTW, I was there twice, beautiful city, great people, crowded as hell, even more expensive. My son's going to Japan next year for work, he's looking forward to it.
Quote:

one team has a huge lead, it is late at night on a school night, both coaches and AD says they understand the rules but kids need to get home on time or parents/principal will complain. (And if I don't get home on time my wife will complain.)
Oh man, you gotta show her who's boss!

Don't tell my wife I said that, OK?
[/b]
Quote:

What do you guys think of this interp? I think it was probably meant for bigger more important games than the ones I am reffing.

[Edited by oc on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 08:01 PM] [/B]
All your games are important.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

--I understand why this one is there, and I guess I will follow it for V league games.

In fact I might even ignore this one in a Varsity league game depending on the situation.

I think the rule here is the same as always -- do what your assignor or interpreter say to do. As long as everyone (including the league, the coaches, your supervisor and the janitor) agree ahead of time, you do it that way.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

[Edited by oc on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 08:01 PM]
Tell them you can't have a running clock, but that you can shorten the quarters -- see 5-5-3.

Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Dan_Ref
Try drop-by Hong Kong when you go to Tokyo for the 3d time. I'd like to ref a game with u here.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
Dan_Ref
Try drop-by Hong Kong when you go to Tokyo for the 3d time. I'd like to ref a game with u here.
You have got a date! I'll let you know if a trip comes up.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Right on, Dan_Ref
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: NFHS # 7

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[QUOTE][i]
You're in Tokyo! What the hell are you doing in Tokyo?
Oh man, you gotta show her who's boss!

Don't tell my wife I said that, OK?
Quote:

[/B]
Reffing!-Although I have to keep a full time teaching job to pay the bills.
And my wife hasn't been my boss for 2 years. Now she is just my supervisor. We have 2 new bosses. One is 2 years old and the other is 4 months.

what's your son coming over here for?