The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fun With A Frustrated Coach … (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105375-fun-frustrated-coach.html)

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 02:21pm

Fun With A Frustrated Coach …

IAABO Make The Call Video

Head Coach Behavior. Should this behavior be considered "major" and a technical foul being assessed? Should a warning have been assessed?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...K1X%2F9w%3D%3D

Three choices: The coach should have been assessed a warning. The coach should have been assessed a technical foul. This is a spontaneous reaction and does not need to be addressed.

My comment: The coach should have been assessed a warning. Coach is outside the coaching box and argues with the official. I do not judge this offense to be a major offense.

Note: Every official has a different level of tolerance and we don't know what happened previously in the game. Was the coach frustrated with his team, down by twenty in the last period, or with the opposing coach, pressing with a big late lead, or with the officiating, or with everything?

Also, what happened to the game clock?

bob jenkins Sun Apr 04, 2021 02:52pm

Slapping the table makes this perilously close to a T.

I'm sure it's just some sort of faulty display on the clock -- when the minutes are zero, the center horizontal row of lights turns on.

Don't the stripes on the officials' shirts seem too wide?

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 03:01pm

Munchkinland ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1042620)

Spotted that also. Or ... are the officials too small?

Mike Goodwin Sun Apr 04, 2021 03:13pm

Like 1970s ties

Quote:

Apparently, the NJISAA has its basketball officials wear the ridiculously wide 2.25" stripes.

Stat-Man Sun Apr 04, 2021 03:23pm

Quote:

I'm sure it's just some sort of faulty display on the clock -- when the minutes are zero, the center horizontal row of lights turns on.

Assuming there has been no previous bench warning issued, I think this at least should be a warning because the coach has to leave the box to slap the table and make the "Call the foul!" comment. Depending on his behavior up until that point or his reputation, I would also understand if the officials went straight a technical foul without a warning.

There is something wrong with the clock inset in that there's some sort of "streaks" covering over some of the scoreboard lights. With the top part of the 7 not displaying, it looks like there's 1 minute to go when this clip starts instead of 7.

I can't remember which but I believe at least one state wants basketball officials to wear wider (2-inch?) stripes for their uniform.

Raymond Sun Apr 04, 2021 03:26pm

Quote:

Those are the same stripes we wear in Virginia.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 03:37pm

It's Your Thing (The Isley Brothers, 1969) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin (Post 1042622)
Like 1970s tie

Hey. I thought that I was the only Forum member that put popular culture references in post titles? Geez. Only twenty-two posts and Mike Goodwin already thinks that he owns the place. What happened to paying one's dues? Speaking of which, Mark Padgett, our Forum treasurer, has informed me that Mike Goodwin is late paying his ten dollar annual Forum dues. He wants cash; small, unmarked, non sequential, bills only please. Pay up Mike Goodwin, or it's double secret probation for you and the horse your rode in on.

Mike Goodwin Sun Apr 04, 2021 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1042623)
There is something wrong with the clock inset in that there's some sort of "streaks" covering over some of the scoreboard lights. With the top part of the 7 not displaying, it looks like there's 1 minute to go when this clip starts instead of 7.

The thing that's obstructing the scoreboard is another backboard's support system.

Mike Goodwin Sun Apr 04, 2021 04:41pm

I learned That From You (Sara Evans '00) & This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan '95)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1042625)
Hey. I thought that I was the only Forum member that put popular culture references in post titles? Geez. Only twenty-two posts and Mike Goodwin already thinks that he owns the place. What happened to paying one's dues? Speaking of which, Mark Padgett, our Forum treasurer, has informed me that Mike Goodwin is late paying his ten dollar annual Forum dues. He wants cash, small, unmarked, non sequential, bills only please. Pay up Mike Goodwin, or it's double secret probation for you and the horse your rode in on.

Your move, BillyMac.

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 05:16pm

Stop (Spice Girls, 1997) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin (Post 1042627)
Your move, BillyMac.

Sorry. Not playing with you today. I've been punished by one time out in fifteen years here on the Forum. I don't want another one.

You came close to getting me suspended a few weeks ago for your reply, and my follow-up reply, to a Paradise By The Dashboard Light reference.

Encourage me to get in trouble once, shame on you. Encourage me to get in trouble twice, shame on me.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Apr 04, 2021 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1042618)
IAABO Make The Call Video

Head Coach Behavior. Should this behavior be considered "major" and a technical foul being assessed? Should a warning have been assessed?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...K1X%2F9w%3D%3D

Three choices: The coach should have been assessed a warning. The coach should have been assessed a technical foul. This is a spontaneous reaction and does not need to be addressed.

My comment: The coach should have been assessed a warning. Coach is outside the coaching box and argues with the official. I do not judge this offense to be a major offense.

Note: Every official has a different level of tolerance and we don't know what happened previously in the game. Was the coach frustrated with his team, down by twenty in the last period, or with the opposing coach, pressing with a big late lead, or with the officiating, or with everything?

Also, what happened to the game clock?

At 7:00, just before B1 releases the Ball for a FGA, W-HC yells at the T: "Call the foul!" The instant B1 releases the Ball for her FGA, I am putting air in my whistle and grant W-HC's request for a Foul to be called: A TF against W-HC for UC (To quote Bugs Bunny: "Ain't I a stinker!" :D). Coninuous Motion applies, the Ball remains Live and since B1's FGA was successful her FGA counts. W-HC's TF is a DTF and he loses the Coaching Box.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 05:20pm

Hickory Dickory Dock ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin (Post 1042626)
The thing that's obstructing the scoreboard is another backboard's support system.

Thanks. But why does the clock tick from 1:00 to 6:59 in the fourth period? Odd that that adds up to eight minutes.

BillyMac Sun Apr 04, 2021 05:25pm

Double Jeopardy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1042629)
To quote Bugs Bunny: "Ain't I a stinker!"

It's sometimes satisfying to charge technical fouls to coaches when their team has the ball. Two free throws, take a seat, and, drum roll please, their team loses the ball. Could be a possible five point turn around. How's that for being a stinker?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Apr 04, 2021 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1042631)
It's sometimes satisfying to charge technical fouls to coaches when their team has the ball. Two free throws, take a seat, and their team loses the ball.

It is even better that when the beg you to call a foul and you can oblige them, lol!

MTD, Sr.

Mike Goodwin Sun Apr 04, 2021 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1042630)
Thanks. But why does the clock tick from 1:00 to 6:59 in the fourth period? Odd that that adds up to eight minutes.

It doesn't. The digit for 7 minutes is obscured at the top, then the same happens with the top part of the 6. I watched this whole game and another at the same venue; the scoreboard operates properly. When it's under a minute, the two, left-most positions are the seconds, and the third position from the left is the tenths.

If I could figure out how to shrink pictures on this forum, I would include them.